Smith72

Ducks Pushing Proposal to Raise Strength Coach Certification Requirement

Oregon leading the way.  IMHO needed!

L3XC55W3K5E3DFAASDSJSTL2Z4.jpg
WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Oregon athletics is considering bringing a proposal to the Pac-12 and eventually the NCAA to raise the accreditation requirements for...

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Certainly needed after the Brenner lawsuit. Oregon walked away from that rather unscathed financially. 

However, it did expose one of the biggest potential problems at any program, the strength and conditioning program. Players spend the most time with these coaches and negligence or ineptitude can cause real damage to athletes' lives. 

Get a qualifications requirement and that doesn't solve the risk outright but it would help make the higher ups sleep easier, not that I particularly care how they sleep... But it would at least help protect student athletes. 

This really is the time right now that the NCAA, or at least conferences, need to be adding more rules, not less. 

• Thumbs Up 3

On 6/11/2022 at 11:32 PM, David Marsh said:

Oregon walked away from that rather unscathed financially. 

Wonder if the insurance premium is going up (more than the normal annual increases)?

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2022 at 10:55 AM, Steven A said:

Wonder if the insurance premium is going up (more than the normal annual increases)?

Possibly... But I kinda doubt it. That coach is gone... Gone for 5 years now. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if the insurance does start going up in general for all programs.