Charles Fischer

Oregon Women’s Hoops Update: Graves Working Toward Tighter, Tougher Squad

Interesting to watch this strategy play out...

usa_today_17830792.jpg
WWW.ADDICTEDTOQUACK.COM

Roster Reduction, New Player Integration Keys to 2022-23

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

I have a lot of confidence in Coach Graves. I think he's making the necessary adjustments in light of the changing landscape in college sports. 

Good article.

The difference for Kelly between recruiting to Gonzaga and Oregon has had, over the years, the appearance of having had to learn on the run how to incorporate and accommodate players into his system in terms of talent and temperament. It has been like watching a live experiment in how to adjust to the next level.

The solidity of 3* players surrounding a core star that drove his Bulldog teams to multiple league championships and into 1st round NCAA games has given way to teams dominated by top 50 high school stars - with some divas - not accustomed to supporting roles or coming off the bench.  

Learning that he could no longer take for granted a team-oriented mentality has changed not only his roster by the disgruntled or home sick departures, but his own perceptions of what recruiting now requires to create the team atmosphere that will once again lead to success.

It’s ironic that his greatest Duck success also led to the wrong impression as to what the future would require. The Sabrina years mirrored how his shooter-dominated teams at Gonzaga could group around a core player who carried the load. But, how often do you hit the lottery?

Recruiting now demands mirroring what most final four teams all have: greater team speed with equal strength between post and perimeter players. His decision to go with a smaller roster should ease ego issues with more court time for all.

It’s been a fascinating journey thus far, and it ain’t over by a long shot, but I trust Kelly to eventually get to where we all want our Ducks to get.

"Oregon carried 13 players in 2021-22, so the reduction in the roster will mean additional minutes to spread around the team."

This is a two edged sword. It means less flexibility when dealing with player injuries, which Graves teams have seen quite a bit of.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have great confidence in Coach Graves, ever since I heard him tell an interviewer once what he attributes his coaching success too, and he pointed to the court where Sabrina, Ruthy and Satou were playing, "Them".

The 2019 Lady Ducks basketball team was in my mind the greatest Ducks team of all time. The loss of 3 of the players in the 1st round of the draft speaks to that. Sabrina was Magic Johnson., not as tall, but could do everything, and played with the mindset of scoring when needed. Ruthy, 33 sots in a row without a miss, amazing at the basket, and Satou, a gazelle on the court, could shoot a 3, and it was amazing that when it looked like there was no room at all, Sabrina would find her at the basket for a layup.

There's a reason the other teams hated the Ladies, and still do a little. They're not on top now, but the players assembled for next season look like they're ready to restore order