Pennsylvania Duck

What Has Hosting World T&F Championships Been Like for Locals in Eugene?

As one who has not been in Eugene for over 20 years, I'm curious what it has been like during the World T&F Championships in the city?

The local businesses must be thrilled, but is traffic a mess? Are there enough hotel spaces or are close in communities also being used?

Do you notice many out of town/foreign visitors or were most of the spectators local? On tv, the attendance has looked good.

It is an honor to host such a huge event like the World Championships, but I’m sure it can bring headaches too for locals.

The local restuarants immediately around Hayward are not as happy as they thought they would be.  Once in the meet, you can't leave.  So, they are not busy during meet time because all the extra people are in the meet.

The last I heard, there was no hotel space for 2 hours in any direction of Eugene.

My daughter has practice at/near one of the places where they are allowing athletes to, so I have seen a few foreign visitors.  The local news has run stories of foreigners coming to the meet.  Eugene is a track savvy town, so there are quite a few locals at the meet.

My wife works close to where they are having non track event festival all week, so her office took the whole week off.  If you look at Google maps, the Festival is on the south side of the Willamette River between Coburg Rd and Ruth Bascom Bike Path.

You mean people are staying as far away as Salem? That's too bad about the restaurants. I was thinking they would have the most to gain!

I guess concessions inside the stadium must do pretty well.

I am on business in Salem this week and had a dickens of a time finding a hotel.  Anything near the freeway is booked solid.

I was there. Businesses were full. Had a great time.