NJDuck

Canzano: ESPN Shut Out of Big Ten? If True, Great for the Pac-12

ESPN out, NBC and CBS in along with Fox sport for Big 10 Football and basketball rights? 

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-43
WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Report: ESPN will be without Big Ten football and basketball

• Thumbs Up 1

NJDuck thanks for posting this JC article. Its still early but ESPN/ABC potentially on the outside looking in on BIG/ND football bodes well for the PAC. As well as the BIG12.

Once the media rights dollars are set for the BIG/ND then GK and the PAC can get to work.

Some expansion moves may or may not be prudent. It really depends on what ESPN/ABC want and need. But the PAC provides high quality football and BB for the Pacific and Mountain time zones. Its a viewing window that all the networks want.

Just think of the media networks and streaming services that need content. The possibilities are going to take shape over the next year. 

GO DUCKS.......

I’m not seeing anything about streaming services such as Amazon, or many others getting involved in NCAA football and basketball. 

Amazon could be a huge player if they so choose. They could use these sporting events to launder their extremely large amounts of cash. Not to mention the fact that the other sports networks might tend to negotiate with bigger payouts or be left behind.

Any thoughts on this one?

It's good for the PAC as ESPN needs more content, and it probably helps Oregon's hopes to get into the B1G because they'll need more marquee games to fill the good slots. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Sorry I don't see this as being great for the Pac at all. If this is all true the BIG 10 is going to be on 3 networks plus a streaming service. They don't have enough inventory to fill those slots with 16 teams. This to me signals more expansion is coming. I've been in the camp that ND, Oregon, the fuskies, and Tree will be in the BIG 10. I could be wrong who knows? If that happens that would be the end of the Pac.

ESPN being shut out of B1G games could potentially be very good news for the Pac-12. ESPN needs the Pac-12 football games more than ever. Kliavkoff could work with ESPN for a larger contract and more money. If they can close the gap between the current conference distribution and moneys from any future ESPN contract, UCLA may reconsider leaving for the B1G.

On 8/9/2022 at 5:45 AM, 12Duck72 said:

Sorry I don't see this as being great for the Pac at all.

Ah, I see what you're saying. I'm a bit more selfish. I think of the Pac only in terms of the time we spend in it before Oregon and Washington go to the B1G. So, I'm hoping for the best payouts until we leave, with the lowest exit penalty fee tagged on. As for the Pac after Oregon leaves? That's not much of my concern.

Edited by 2002duck
  • Thumbs Up 2

Yep, totally agree with you. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out. If the Ducks can get some more dough out of it before expansion I'm all for it.