Pennsylvania Duck

WATCH Talkin’ Ducks — Previewing the top-25 matchup against No. 12 BYU

From the FishDuck Feed...Hosts Jordan Kent, Joey Harrington, Anthony Newman and Aaron Fentress bring you comprehensive Oregon Ducks coverage including analysis, exclusive interviews, play breakdowns and much more!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

On 9/16/2022 at 2:16 PM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

From the FishDuck Feed...Hosts Jordan Kent, Joey Harrington, Anthony Newman and Aaron Fentress bring you comprehensive Oregon Ducks coverage including analysis, exclusive interviews, play breakdowns and much more!

I will go out on a limb.  Both my brother and I think Georgia is fielding the best defense college football has seen in a decade.  

I liked how the one gentleman said, “Bo didn’t do that badly against Georgia.”   

Alabama will also throw two pics against that secondary.  That’s how good I think they are.  I know, it’s just my opinion. 

I think this game will do more to define Bo, then it will to define our entire team.  We are very young yet, including our coaching staff.  

But Bo has seen much better teams then BYU.  I think it’s “cowboy up” time for Bo?  No more excuses for Bo. 

Go Ducks! 

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe the OBD Defense matter more in this game.  I am astounded at the performance gap in comparison to the talent on the field. 

I believe the safeties (both of whom I'd provide splinters to instead of making them ride the bench-so they can stand up instead of sit down during the game) are horrible.  I'm talking about Hill and Stephens.  

I, Fifty nine year old Mike West, feel more comfortable running in slow motion (in comparison to the players at their age) than trusting both of these safeties.  My knees hurt, my hips hurt, and I STILL feel I can cover better than both of them.  

They don't recognize what WRs to ignore in coverage, when to shut down the tight ends, when to shut down those crazy crossing patterns teams feast on now (you know, the ones where two TEs run down and in routes and a WR trails behind one of them as a safety valve).  

They, unlike Georgia, sit twenty yards off the line of scrimmage to start plays.  Can't cover a ten yard seam route from there, can't catch a WR on the other side of the field if he catches even a post route.  

I could sit at twelve yards off the LOS and shut down both.  Just standing still (now I wouldn't be able to support a corner on a fade route, but he'd know that-and that is the point- force the QB to chose other routes on my side of the field).

They don't tell the LBs what to cover based in formation.  I've seen formations run by opponents that bug me because I know the Safeties don't know how to shut them down.  

That is why Bo Nix will not be a factor in this game unless those two players stop playing as if they don't even exist on the field. 

This success of this team hinges on pass coverage.  For the rest of the year.  I didn't like what I saw in the Eastern Washington game.  We need new safeties.  Any volunteers?

Edited by Mike West
  • Yikes! 1

On 9/16/2022 at 5:43 PM, Mike West said:

I believe the OBD Defense matter more in this game.  I am astounded at the performance gap in comparison to the talent on the field. 

I believe the safeties (both of whom I'd provide splinters to instead of making them ride the bench-so they can stand up instead of sit down during the game) are horrible.  I'm talking about Hill and Stephens.  

I, Fifty nine year old Mike West, feel more comfortable running in slow motion (in comparison to the players at their age) than trusting both of these safeties.  My knees hurt, my hips hurt, and I STILL feel I can cover better than both of them.  

They don't recognize what WRs to ignore in coverage, when to shut down the tight ends, when to shut down those crazy crossing patterns teams feast on now (you know, the ones where two TEs run down and in routes and a WR trails behind one of them as a safety valve).  

They, unlike Georgia, sit twenty yards off the line of scrimmage to start plays.  Can't cover a ten yard seam route from there, can't catch a WR on the other side of the field if he catches even a post route.  

I could sit at twelve yards off the LOS and shut down both.  Just standing still (now I wouldn't be able to support a corner on a fade route, but he'd know that-and that is the point- force the QB to chose other routes on my side of the field).

They don't tell the LBs what to cover based in formation.  I've seen formations run by opponents that bug me because I know the Safeties don't know how to shut them down.  

That is why Bo Nix will not be a factor in this game unless those two players stop playing as if they don't even exist on the field. 

This success of this team hinges on pass coverage.  For the rest of the year.  I didn't like what I saw in the Eastern Washington game.  We need new safeties.  Any volunteers?

Well!!!

I gladly stand corrected.  The defense is clearly taking care of Business.  I can gladly retire from bad mouthing the safety unit

Edited by Smith72
Spelling