Charles Fischer

Mens Basketball Fans: Discuss the SURPRISES Last Night?

Boy there were a bunch of them that were great to see! 

But first....was I the only one who thought the game announcers were connected to the Huskies and at times in the first half....you would have thought UW was 13-3 and not the other way around?

I did NOT understand the pronunciation of Frank Kepnang's name by them....but the official media guide sent out to us says, that his last name is to be pronounced as, "KEP-nong, as in "song."  I don't get where that comes from, but they did have it right.

Speaking of the freshman center....he helped to spark a 15-2 run in the first half, where he had seven points, two rebounds, and two blocks during that stretch alone!  He finished with eight points in 15 minutes played, and I think he is improving and helping the team much faster than we thought he would!

Isn't it wonderful to see Will Richardson rounding into form and how much better the team operates with him in there?  He was hitting some threes, making some nice drives on 19 points and five assists and it was a big improvement over his first outing.

Could you believe Jalen Terry?  We have a new little sniper from the outside--we knew he was quick on drives, but now with 5 threes?  And four were in a row that put the game out-of-reach for the Huskies in the second half? 

Coach Dana Altman said that, "Jalen was just a difference maker there. He's been shooting OK, but to get 5 threes down...I think we would've been struggling right at the (10 point lead cushion) the whole game if it wouldn't have been for Jalen getting hot."

Chris Duarte was in a walking boot and Altman believes that since the X-Rays were negative, there is an outside shot he will play this next weekend, and for certain the week after. Eric Williams is expected to be back for the next games. (COVID protocol)

Richardson.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Kepnang was great to see, Omoruyi is already the best at the basket player Altman has had at Oregon, and if Kepnang can continue from this performance, even improve, the Ducks offense will have a dimension its never had. 

Terry was terrific, nothing more fun in basketball than taking a "heat check" with your shot, and making it! It was really neat that after making shot after shot, his expression never changed, he was dialed in, But, during a timeout, Richardson came over and then we saw a big grin on Terry's face. 

The report on Williams and Duarte sounds very encouraging. 

One analyst said it well a while back when he said that Altman teams did best when they had a shot-blocker to come from the weak-side on defense.  Boucher, Bell and now Kepnang?

Jordan Bell could be intense_Video.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Lots of stuff to like in this game, IMO.  My 2 favorite aspects of this game are really like a 1a & 1b.

1a)  Jalen Terry out of nowhere draining 3s like nobody's business!

1b) The big grin on Kepnang's face throughout the game - dude was genuinely having fun!

1bb) Oh yeah, the joy of beating the snot out of the purple puppies yet once again!!

Go Ducks!!

Edited by olcodgerduck