Pennsylvania Duck

Report: Pac-12 Fails To Reach Deal With ESPN, Fox Sports

With the exclusive negotiating window past, the conference can now take its full set of

media rights to the open market. This means that all of its games are open for bidding.

Is it possible that a bidding war could take place? Click in box below to read article.

Not unexpected. I guess we’ll see what the streamers have to offer. 

I won't pretend to understand any of this but in my gut - I have a bad feeling.  

If all the games of all the Pac-12 teams go up for bid who knows how many different streaming services a viewer is going to have to subscribe to so they can watch their team play.  Right now I have Sling Orange, Sling Blue, Fubo and ESPN app just to (hopefully) see all the college games I want.  This is not only getting expensive, it's getting darn near un-manageable and difficult to keep track of.

I miss the days when NBC, CBS and ABC (all on one cable service) had all the best college games and they never buffered, pixelated or dropped out suddenly for no reason.  I know we will never go back to those days but streaming (for me) hasn't exactly been a quantum leap forward either.

Edited by Mic
  • Applause 2

On 10/8/2022 at 12:20 AM, lownslowav8r said:

Not unexpected. I guess we’ll see what the streamers have to offer. 

According to the article...

Sources have said that ESPN and Fox continue to have strong interest, but other digital companies

like Amazon and Apple are thought to have an appetite for Pac-12 rights as well.

It would be great to have a combination of both broadcast tv and streamers for financial reasons.

This is where sports properties often expect — or at least hope — multiple bidders to drive the rights fees higher.