Mic

Red Zone Woes - Who Knew This?

While perusing the Media Notes for tonight's game in Tucson I learned that Oregon (despite all these red zone woes) currently leads the Pac-12 in red zone TD's and is tied for 3rd in the nation.  Imagine where they'd be sitting if they had not struggled to get in the end zone against WSU & Stanford?

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Wow 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yep.  Against BYU, the Ducks only had the ball for four possessions in the first half and scored on all of them for a 24-3 lead.  In the first half against WSU some called plays in the Red Zone that worked before, but did not work then.

Many times it simply comes down to..."did the play work?"  If if did, we as fans say nothing, but when if fails..."we have a big problem."

I think Dilly has done well overall for just five games, and he is getting better.  He is backing up what he said he would try to do on offense, and is returning us to the days of high-scoring again.

Bo Nix by Eric Evans of Oregon Football Twitter.jpg

And no coordinator is going to be perfect; what Dilly has done thus far doesn't suck.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

Awesome detective work, Mic! I did know, or expect that!

The offense still needs some honing in, but our scoring average is alleviating concern right now for me. 

It's our defense that needs to see the most improvement because we are allowing way too many points, in my opinion. With two defensive minds like DL & TL, the defense, one would think, would be the strength of the team. 

I'm going to go a bit further and suggest that mostly it's our pass defense that needs vast improvement. Seems our run defense is pretty stout.

But considering the Pac12 is traditionally a pass-heavy league, ... 

I believe Oregon is in good shape overall but this may not be the year we make the most strides. The future is bright at Oregon under Dan Lanning, though. 

Edited by Krsmqn
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Meanwhile somewhere east of us today:

Screenshot_20221008_140418.png

• Great post! 1

On 10/8/2022 at 10:44 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Yep.  Against BYU, the Ducks only had the ball for four possessions in the first half and scored on all of them for a 24-3 lead.  In the first half against WSU some called plays in the Red Zone that worked before, but did not work then.

And no coordinator is going to be perfect; what Dilly has done thus far doesn't suck.

I don't think anyone ever thought Dilly sucks.  We were wondering about things during that red zone spell, but tonight the Ducks have a chance to show they've put the behind them and try to move up the list to #2 or #1 in red zone offense.

Meanwhile, Washington trails ASU by 14 late in the 3rd.😃