DazeNconfused

Ducks Mid-Season: Tell Us What Surprises You So Far

On 10/12/2022 at 10:12 AM, Wrathis said:

I 100% agree with you and yet, I'm hoping that this will be the game where we're blitzing and play aggressive defense!  Where our defense dictates what the offense does, not just having us react to what they're doing.

Wouldn't that be a pleasant surprise...

The defense is making strides every week. Did you see the increase in blitzing last week? and from different directions?

Sewell should have had an interception on the first play of the game after he went from middle linebacker all the way around the left side of the line to put pressure on the QB. 

We got a ton of hurries on deLaura last week, which is why he missed on so many passes. He completed only 57% of his passes and passed for less than 250 yards after passing for almost 500 the week before.

I don't think I am surprised about anything. Like others have pointed out, things are different than what we expected at the beginning of the season, but that just may be because of the fact that we are not watching every practice.

In the Georgia game people were surprised and disappointed that Irving and NW were playing in front of Cardwell and Dollars... but the last 5 games have shown that the coaches made the right decisions based on what they saw in practice. Irving and NW deserve to be 1 and 2.

After week 2 (I think) we had a thread on here in which most were agreeing that RB by committee would not work (as opposed to having a 1 and 2 RB). After 6 games, it looks like we are working fine - and everyone does have fresh legs the whole game. (What were those coaches thinking???)

The defense (as well as everyone else) is improving every week. Our schedule worked out well this year to have to be somewhat lighter in the beginning so that everyone could improve enough to meet the challenge ahead.

The massive loss at Georgia, is still reaping benefits as there is no way guys can think they are the best in college football YET. That loss makes guys realize that they still need to learn and improve. Coaches too.

DL admitted that he tried to install too much defense in the beginning, and that is part of why the defense could not stop Georgia's offense. So now, as they guys can absorb it, we are seeing a little more variation in the defense every week.

I'm looking forward to seeing what these coaches are going to come up with, having 2 weeks to prepare for UCLA. I think Oregon is going to turn some heads.

I think the D just getting to focus on themselves and not an opponent for a week, will do wonders.

They may even debut some narly stuff we haven’t seen yet to welcome Chip back.

On 10/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, Mic said:

I really liked the thumb's-up gesture Troy Franklin gave to Bo (I assume) immediately after rising from that 1st down catch over the middle.  It was the opposite (imo) of a gesture of self-congratulation.  It was like he was signaling to Nix "nice throw!  We're moving the chains".

I have really appreciated Franklin . . . he seems to carry himself well on the field, and his celebrations and gestures are subdued/matter-of-fact and almost always involve him engaging with teammates.  He has a great vibe about him . . . I like it.

• Applause 1

On 10/12/2022 at 2:53 PM, Jon Sousa said:

He looked very disappointed in himself to me. It was a great catch... but maybe he was thinking if he had run a little faster earlier in the route, it would have been a touchdown, caught in stride.

Possible, but I think it was something different.  I think he was remembering what Lanning (?) or the other coaches were telling these players.  YOU didn't make the great play - the team did.  Nice catch, get back to the huddle and ready to go!

On 10/12/2022 at 9:00 AM, debbieduck said:

Yes I do.  He has the personality of a Brett Favre, or a Johnny Manziel.  

Lanning has done well to get him to play under his scheme.  I like that as do most. 

But it is NOT who he is.  He is a gun slinger at heart.  

I can't argue with your points about the Alabama QB's. But I contend that after the Georgia game, where Bo gunslinged the Ducks into trouble, he underwent a heart transplant and is understanding and enjoying playing the way he has the last 5 games.

He hasn't holstered his game. He's still running and getting very positive results. The biggest change is his passing, not forcing a big play but following the program, which has led to the great offense we've seen the last 5 games. Against UCLA I think Bo has to keep doing exactly what he's doing, managing the offense to over 47 points per game.