Pennsylvania Duck

Impact of Chip, Feels Different Under Lanning

This article is a good read, part human interest and part football.

Read about the impact of Chip Kelly and how things just 'feel different' under Dan Lanning.

WWW.ON3.COM

It's starting to feel like Oregon has a coach who instills that confidence. Now it's time to take it to a game with equal talent and skill.

• Great post! 1

Great article.  

For all the reasons we can think of (and a few more as laid out in this article) this is probably going to be one of the most interesting, potentially explosive and crucial games at Autzen this year.  Win this and Oregon will handle Washington and Utah both, imo.  Lose this and everything's back up in the air and anything could happen.

I almost need the bye week just to get mentally prepared for what's about to go down on Oct. 22nd, 2022 in downtown Eugene, Oregon.

GO DUCKS!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I love the difference in mentality Lanning brings to the game. These were my favorite parts of the article...

But watching this team, it’s so apparent that the way Lanning and his staff prepare the team comes from a place of confidence.

No, “If things go our way, we’ll leave with a win.” This is different; this is the belief that Oregon will win.

Maybe as fans, we live with the PTSD of Tuscon, Tempe, or Stanford. But you know who doesn’t? Lanning. He doesn’t care about the past.

He comes from a tree of coaches who walked into a game they were supposed to win and did just that.

Certainly different from the vibes given by MC!

• Cool 1
  • Thumbs Up 4

I haven't read the article yet, wanted to share my thought on how It feels today versus CK era.

Under Kelly things felt chaotic yet a slightly controlled chaos. They called it the blur for a reason. After games I was like "wait, what just happened". It was super exciting, I couldn't get enough.

With Lanning if feels less chaotic. Feels more controlled. The play calling under Lanning seems highly intelligent. Not that Chip's wasn't,  CK was brilliant at Oregon.

DL and KD seem to fit really well together. All of Oregons staff appear to not only be on the same page, but the same paragraph. 

The overall culture of this team seems really solid. The consistent growth week to week it at a level I have never seen. Lanning put his stamp on this team almost from the intro presser.

This team is super exciting and I can't get enough. Not just on the field Saturdays, in recruiting, anticipation of this weeks 1%, etc. 

I could be in part to the OBDF community,  but my football IQ has increased watching my Ducks play this season. I am more emotionally invested in this team. Like I said, I can't get enough!

• Go Ducks! 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

I think there is a very clear difference. With Chip, Oregon came from nowhere nationally to perennial playoff contenders, 47-6. Football had never seen what Oregon was doing. Of course, it eventually would become what football was, in college and the NFL.

The Ducks didn't win the Natty, and even though Oregon was one of the dominant running teams throughout the Chip era, all we would hear was the F word, finesse. Oregon under Lanning isn't finesse. We're not at the talent, depth level to win the Natty yet, but I'm confident that Lanning will get us there. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 7:28 PM, 30Duck said:

I think there is a very clear difference. With Chip, Oregon came from nowhere nationally to perennial playoff contenders, 47-6. Football had never seen what Oregon was doing. Of course, it eventually would become what football was, in college and the NFL.

The Ducks didn't win the Natty, and even though Oregon was one of the dominant running teams throughout the Chip era, all we would hear was the F word, finesse. Oregon under Lanning isn't finesse. We're not at the talent, depth level to win the Natty yet, but I'm confident that Lanning will get us there. 

There is more talent and depth on the 22' Duck roster than Kelly ever had. It was hidden under the 8 million dollar man Mariø.

Lanning has coached 6 games. Chips first game was a disaster, then dominated opponents after that. 

Since Lanning's first game, also a disaster, the Ducks have dominated 4 out of 5. The trajectory looks familiar. It has Duck fans more excited about OBD since, well... the Kelly era.

• Like 1

I think it was in my first post on OBD that I said that you were going to love  Lanning while also cautioning against heaping unrealistic expectations on a first-year coach and his staff. I expected miscues on his part and we may see some yet this year. But quite frankly,  things are going better so far than I had anticipated.

I think what  I  am seeing  here, based on team play and statements from some players,  is  the establishment of a new culture that players are buying into.  A culture based on sound fundamentals will lead down the road to a team chemistry in which the older players will encourage the younger ones to buy in and to work hard to get better every day. If I am right, I expect really good things to happen for the Ducks in the coming years and a level of  excitement in Eugene that is something to behold.

Rest assured that I will be rooting along with you!

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

On 10/14/2022 at 7:37 PM, Log Haulin said:

There is more talent and depth on the 22' Duck roster than Kelly ever had.

I'm not sure about that, LMJ, Kenjon Barner, Dat, Maehl, Buckner, Armstead, Troy Hill, Pleasant, Alonzo, Ifo,Ekpre Olumo, Freeman, Thomas...

On 10/15/2022 at 10:46 AM, 30Duck said:

I'm not sure about that, LMJ, Kenjon Barner, Dat, Maehl, Buckner, Armstead, Troy Hill, Pleasant, Alonzo, Ifo,Ekpre Olumo, Freeman, Thomas...

Don't forget first round draft pick Kyle Long. Howies kid. Had a decent career in NFL. 6 years as an interior lineman.