Charles Fischer

Will Coach Lombardi use RELIEF PITCHERS Extensively in 2021?

I bring this up because Oregon not only has incredible pitching depth, but superb quality to boot.  Add to it how Lombardi has several different types of pitchers....it begins to make you wonder about this.  I am a novice when it comes to softball/baseball and would love the opinion of others.  (Season begins tomorrow!)

Oregon Softball Pitchers:

Samaria Diaz, right-handed, Senior, 1.0 ERA, 8-0 last year.
Brooke Yanez, left-handed, Junior, 1.56 ERA, 9-1
Jordan Dail, right-handed, Junior, 2.39 ERA, 5-1
Makenna Kliethermes, right-handed, Freshman, 1.05 ERA, (no hits allowed in five appearances last year)
Raegan Breedlove, right-handed, Freshman, 0.39 ERA in high school, No. 15 best HS player in US last year according to FloSoftball. 

With five pitchers....would you have a starter, reliever and closer?  Two of the three?  So many variables to ponder, but Coach Melyssa Lombardi has recruited herself into some nice choices...

GLB18919.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

Depth is always good. Softball pitching and relieving is much different from baseball. I'm still not sure of all the rules, but, while in baseball once a pitcher is removed he can not return to the game, a softball pitcher can be removed, and she can return to the game. I don't think a pitcher can be removed for one batter, but that's about it.

Mike White had great starting pitching, and didn't use many of these relieving rules. Cheridan Hawkins, Megan Kleist, Miranda Elish, were rarely taken out at all. In 2019,  Lombardi didn't pull Jordan Dail very often, but she was pretty much the only pitcher that team had! It will be great to see How Lombardi handles this deep pitching staff. 

Guest Jack Reacher

Lombardi has one of the best, if not the best, pitching staffs in the country.  Other schools may have better individual pitchers but as a group, not many can rival what Oregon has - 5 stud arms.

With 2 lefties (Dail and Yanez) and 3 RHP (Diaz, Kliethermes and Breedlove), Lombardi has a lot of choices.  Each pitcher has a different look.  That is going to be critical this year in conference play as their are extra games in the series vs. each school.  Typically 4 game sets instead of 3, although we play #1 UCLA 6 times!  Having the huge variety of looks is huge because opposing hitters are good.  Really good.  Samaria Diaz might dominate a team in one game but they'll go to school on what she's doing and Diaz could get rocked in game 2. 

That's where the depth and different looks come in.  In game 2 (or as soon as the hitters start to figure out Diaz), Lombardi can bring in Dail or Yanez.  Then the hitters go from facing a hard throwing RHP with a curve that breaks away from RH batters to slower throwing lefties.  Jordan Dail has a killer change up and the speed differential from Diaz's heat to Dail's change up will make batters look silly.  Also the lefty's curves will break in to RH batters.  As hitters start to figure the lefties out, Lombardi can counter with Breedlove.  She is just a frosh but she throws 68 mph.  That is gas from 43' and is the equivalent of 98 in baseball.  Also Breedlove keeps the ball down so it's a heavy ball that gets a lot of ground ball outs.

Lombardi was creative on how she used the pitchers last year.  Dail, Yanez and Diaz all started games, came on in relief and closed games.  She never really had set roles such as Diaz is our closer or anything like that and I don't expect her to do so this year.  Every opponent is different.  Some feast on lefties like Dail but they might struggle against Breedlove, etc.  Also, pitchers can be a bit up and down in terms of having their best stuff.  Lombardi will ride the hot hand and mix and match.

I'm excited to see what Breedlove can do.  There is a lot of excitement about her.  The other wild card of sorts is Kliethermes.  She showed some impressive flashes but struggled with her control at times (8 walks in 6.2 innings compared to Diaz with 8 walks in 42 innings and Dail with 7 walks in 44 innings).  Lombardi said Kliethermes had figured some things out and was about to really break out last year when COVID killed the season.  If Kliethermes has improved control she can dominate as evidenced by her 11K and 0 hits in 6.2 innings last year.  Lombardi won't (and shouldn't) tolerate walks with the depth and talent on this staff.  Opposing teams are too good to give away bases to.

Lombardi has talked about Diaz having a much improved curve this year.  Considering how well she pitched last year, if she has a more effective curve this year she's going to be really tough.

Besides recruiting great pitchers, Lombardi is known for how well she develops her pitchers.  Jordan Dail is Exhibit A.  She transferred from Va Tech.  At Va Tech, she walked 51 batters and hit 30 more for 81 free bases in 98 innings.  Last year Jordan had just 7 walks and 4 HBP in 44 strong innings.  So it would not be a surprise to see all of the pitchers taking steps forward this year under her expert tutelage. . . 

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

Lombardi has one of the best, if not the best, pitching staffs in the country. 

Boy Jack, your knowledge of the team is extensive and you are very, very welcome here.  I do not have many to discuss Oregon Softball with, and I would hope you check on us often during the season and give us your insights.  A fun and informative read and I thank you!  I learned a ton about our pitchers and will be looking for this on the live-stream games.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Due to limited seating and competitive nature of our Duck's softball team at the absolutely beautiful Jane Sanders Stadium, these tickets will once again be the hottest in town (once fans can attend). 

As Jack Reacher pointed out in his very good in-depth discussion with a focus on pitching, this is a complex game in a competitive conference. Think of each game like a " higher-rated" chess game; there are many considerations based on principles, strategies, tactics, player strengths and weaknesses, and so on. Coach Lombardi and her staff have my fullest respect and confidence. Like so many of our Duck sports teams, this is one worth following and enjoying. Go Ducks!