FishDuck Article

Oregon Is Aiming for More Than the Playoff

This past Saturday, Oregon proved it’s one of the best teams in the nation. UCLA has been a top-tier team in a much-improved Pac-12, with a high-flying offense and a solid-enough defense. Chip Kelly’s vision is finally materializing, as Dorian Thompson-Robinson has developed into a very good quarterback, and Zach Charbonnet leads a rushing attack that bears striking resemblance to ...

FISHDUCK.COM

This past Saturday, Oregon proved it's one of the best teams in the nation. UCLA has been a top-tier team in a much-improved Pac-12, with a...
  • Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Joshua, you nailed it with this article!  Thanks for your contributions to FishDuck.  Great points for Duck fans to PONDer.  (Pun intended.)

Point one: "Dan Lanning is on his way to re-establishing Oregon as a powerhouse program, and 2022 might just be the start of a green-and-yellow resurgence."  I agree with you - Dan Lanning is building a first class football program.

Point two: "At some point, a coach has to get his players to play to their potential." Talented players need to be taught.  Undisciplined past performance and just relying on god-given speed and strength is not enough to play at an elite level.

Your writing today was terrific.  Thanks Joshua!

The best is yet to come.  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

It's amazing how the outlook has changed around Duck Football from 10 short months ago.....Progrum Management overall is vastly improved and the results are showing.

• Thumbs Up 1

To me the question moving forward is what can Oregon really do to tighten up its defense?  The offense is firing on all cylinders and Bo has proven that the deep ball is there to call upon when they need it.  UCLA is a top notch offense and field goals were essentially stops.

Despite the dominant win, I still have questions on how well Oregon's defense will hold up against future top offenses.  It's great to win games with a powerhouse offense but sometimes the offense gets out  of synch, when that happens Oregon is going to need to rely on its defense. 

I continue to be concerned about pass defense outside of Gonzo's play.  From what I'm seeing Oregon's DB's are bigger so they are capable of big hits and physical play.  They aren't necessarily as fast so some of the DBs (especially Bridges) are giving sizeable pads to prevent bigger plays.  This disadvantage is mostly mitigated in the redzone thankfully.  I realize this is likely a roster issue but what can Oregon do to help DBs like Bridges in Playaction/RPO downs?  

The other area of concern but definitely second to the defense is kick coverage and kick returns.  Both areas have appeared shaky all season even though serious negative plays haven't materialized.

On 10/25/2022 at 9:22 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

I continue to be concerned about pass defense outside of Gonzo's play.  From what I'm seeing Oregon's DB's are bigger so they are capable of big hits and physical play.  They aren't necessarily as fast so some of the DBs (especially Bridges) are giving sizeable pads to prevent bigger plays.  This disadvantage is mostly mitigated in the redzone thankfully.  I realize this is likely a roster issue but what can Oregon do to help DBs like Bridges in Playaction/RPO downs? 

I was surprised to see Bridges start the season, and continue to start, as I thought for sure that Manning would win that corner spot.  Even with the burns--Bridges has been improving and I think the coaches have decided to take their lumps with his learning curve.

I also believe his length is a major factor because of the tactics behind this defense, considering what their objective actually is.  Much more on that in my Thursday article where we can discuss fully at that time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 10/25/2022 at 9:31 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Much more on that in my Thursday article where we can discuss fully at that time.

I can't wait, this is why I love this site.  I'm constantly learning with every article and post.

• Thanks 2