Mic

Musgrave Out at Cal - Might O See a Change Too?

KPNW radio reported this morning that Cal has fired former Oregon QB Bill Musgrave as their Offensive Coordinator due to the poor performance of the offense.  With 2 games left in the regular season Cal is not willing to wait for a change.

Will Oregon look to make a change as well in their coaching ranks?  With much more on the line, post-season-wise, probably not.  Disruptions at this stage in the program are unlikely given the importance of these last two games followed by a bowl appearance.  But I can think of one coach who may be looking over his shoulder (and his phone) at lot this month.

Edited by Mic

I doubt we will see a coaching change at this point. Need to close on the recruiting class soon so making those changes could blow it up. 

Cal fired Musgrave so Wilcox could save face by showing he is making the changes. This isn't that different from an AD firing a head coach early in the year; it isn't about making a positive on the field change right now but more showing that change is happening and coming to appease the fan base. 

As Oregon fans we want to see change happen on the field for our defense but there are probably a lot of things going on behind the scenes we don't know about and again with the early signing period coming up, I doubt Lanning wants to change up his recruiting staff at this point of the year. 

On 11/15/2022 at 8:34 AM, David Marsh said:

I doubt we will see a coaching change at this point.

I doubt Lanning wants to change up his recruiting staff at this point of the year. 

I agree (because of what's on the line right now) but I can imagine Coach Tosh might be feeling a bit "uncomfortable" right about now.  If you think about it his performance at D.C. isn't a lot better than Musgrave's at O.C.