Charles Fischer

Duck Trivia Question: Which Seasons Were Wrecked by QB Injury?

I am looking at the last 32 years or so; I am trying to recall them all.

1988: Oregon is 6-1 and playing ASU, when Musgrave breaks his collarbone.  We lose that game and every game after that...

1991: Danny O' Neil starts as a freshman, but gets hurt after two games and we see Brent Salisbury, Kyle Crowston, Bob Brothers and Doug Musgrave try, but fail to help the Ducks win. (3-8)

2004? I cannot recall the year that Kellen Clemens got hurt at Arizona...any of you?

2007: Dennis goes down and we are on our 4th team QB by the end.

2017: Justin Herbert gets hurt, and a big season is lost.

Can any of you recall the years?

Dennis Dixon_John Giustina (2).jpg

Mr. FishDuck

2007 - Dennis Dixon... Enough said. 

2013 - Mariota gets a partially torn MCL and that leads to a non-mobile Mariota in losses against Stanford and Arizona. 

2015 - Vernon Adams... of which I wrote a what if article about. 

FISHDUCK.COM

The 2015 season saw Oregon turn to a one-year graduate transfer in Vernon Adams, and that move could...

2017? - an injured Herbert did hurt the team's overall record but I don't think that team was really destined for anything too great but it did cost us at least two potential wins. 

I'll be honest my duck history is a bit limited in terms of time but the years I do know I know very well. 

Edited by David Marsh

2007...Heismann and natty were highly probable.

2015...Vernon Adams doesn't break his finger we probably go to the playoff, not Michigan State.

On 11/19/2022 at 7:14 AM, JDuck said:

2015...Vernon Adams doesn't break his finger we probably go to the playoff, not Michigan State.

Adams also likely gets an invite to New York for the Heisman. Not saying he wins but he gets the invite. 

• Thumbs Up 1

The Kellen Clemens one is a bit weird. The Ducks did go into a tailspin in 2004, losing their last 3: Cal and UCLA, then getting drilled by the Beavers (21-50), to finish 5-6; but, Clemens wasn't hurt (and actually played pretty well against Cal but not so much in the final 2).

The 2004 Cal game being the infamous loss where Oregon led (10-2) Cal 27-14 in the second quarter to only lose in the 4th on an Aaron Rodgers 19 yard TD to Geoff McArthur (27-28).

That loss is sort of viewed as being one the team doesn't recover from (finishing with a losing record for only one of the two seasons post-1994).

Clemens gets hurt in the 2005 Arizona win; but, Dennis Dixon and Brady Leaf fill in and the Ducks finish 3-0. In Duck football lore, the QB rotation probably falls apart in the 14-17 loss to Oklahoma in the Holiday Bowl (where both QB seem to be effected by the odd rotation).

Edited by AnotherOD
  • Thanks 1