Pennsylvania Duck

Grades Given to Head Coaches on New Teams

So how did Lanning’s first year go as far as the national media’s opinion is concerned?

How did Oregon’s head coach fare compared to the likes of Mario Cristobal, who was in his first year with

the Miami Hurricanes? Or perhaps Joe Moorhead in his first year with Akron? What about Lincoln Riley at USC?

Let’s take a look at the coaching grades according to USA TODAY:

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Have you paid attention to Joe Moorhead’s year at Akron? How does Dan Lanning’s 2022 season compare to Mario Cristobal’s...

I would grade Lanning higher, and Dickert too. A first time head coach has to be looked upon like a first time starting qb. You have to give them a little grace as they are going to make mistakes, and Lanning did.

Riley deserves an A, while MariØ is going to have to go summer school to try and catch up to the first year coaches. The problem, MariØ still thinks he should be teaching the class. With an $80 million contract why shouldn't he think that way, all the way up to the buyout. 

I'll bet the bloom is off the A grade Riley rose after that U$C showing in last night's second half.

Couldn't happen to a more worthy fellow.

The transfer portal gets an A+

I agree with most but I would give DL a C -the D was bad. LR I would give a B-. DeBoer was the guy I wanted for the Ducks originally.

I'm sorry... After watching Riley land in the perfect storm for a first year coach at USC (No Oregon or Washington, and winning 3 other games by dumb luck AND the skin of their teeth) I find it hard to justify the A- grade he received.