Steven A

Mr. FishDuck Nominates Jerry Rice for Offensive Analyst

NFL legend Jerry Rice had some words for the San Francisco 49ers’ coaching staff after Deebo Samuel left Sunday’s game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers with an ankle injury.

"Please stop running out skill player up the middle," he wrote.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 12/12/2022 at 9:59 AM, cartm25 said:

His success/fame/notoriety in the NFL has come playing as RB, and a WR that catches short passes and gets YAC the hard way.

You make a good case, and I can understand how they are using him.

But to use a Heisman-contending quarterback between the tackles when you have an explosive offense with tons of other plays, and running backs built for between the tackles?  I have a couple of responses:

1) The QB will get hurt, as it is only a matter of time.

2) It is stupid-as-hell, IMHO.

3) We will disagree--no big deal.  (Just be prepared for more lost seasons if we continue doing it)

Bo Nix Hurt_Eugene Johnson.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On rare occasions, like the first 10 yard quarterback, run up the middle for a touchdown against Washington that caught them completely by surprise… Then, yes.

Running that same play three times in the same game was only asking for trouble, and we got it.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 12/12/2022 at 10:16 AM, Charles Fischer said:

But to use a Heisman-contending quarterback between the tackles when you have an explosive offense with tons of other plays, and running backs built for between the tackles?  I have a couple of responses:

1) The QB will get hurt, as it is only a matter of time.

2) It is stupid-as-hell, IMHO.

3) We will disagree--no big deal.  (Just be prepared for more lost seasons if we continue doing it)

I agree with you, unless the game is on the line or if you are playing in the conference championship, Rose Bowl or playoffs (e.g., the way the coaches utilized Herbert his senior year in the big games). I didn’t like the obvious QB sneak against Washington after we ran the same play, out of the same formation, earlier in the game. UW even took a timeout when they saw the formation and we didn’t adjust. 

Did anyone else see the Chargers shift Herbert out to receiver and run the option with two skill players (RB received the direct snap), last night? I thought that that was a smart way to run the option in the NFL. Herbert stepped back at the snap so a lateral pass was an option that the defense had to defend. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Deebo’s injury was a bit of a fluke/bad luck. He got his lower leg rolled up on in the open field.  Had nothing to do with the playcall as it could have easily have happened on a reception. Hope it’s not too serious. 

• Applause 1

On 12/12/2022 at 11:26 AM, OregonDucks said:

(e.g., the way the coaches utilized Herbert his senior year in the big games)

Even when they let Herbert run...was it designed between the tackles?  No.  It was a Zone-Read, and if he pulled--he was running to the outside.  (Where he can slide or go out-of-bounds)

Herbert last TD_Tom Corno.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck