Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: Nothing Like the Electricity of Football

One game. One Christmas. Best gift ever?

This is a fun and nostalgic read...bet many of you also have these memories.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

One game. One Christmas. Best gift ever?

That was a fun read.

Unfortunately, watching electric football is like watching a Mario coached team.

• Salute 1
  • Haha 2
  • Mic drop 2
  • Applause 1

I remember the Christmas we got ours.

We played that thing non-stop til the (not so) wee hours of the morning.

One would have thought my brothers were watching the super 🏈!

• Like 1

That game was SOOO bad. My buddy had it and we played it often for lack of anything better to do. Inevitably, on my first play, I'd line up my guys on offense and stick the dumb felt "football" into one guy's arm. Then, we'd flip the switch and let the vibrations begin. Sure enough, my ball carrier would be the guy with a bent piece of plastic underneath and the guy would just go around in circles in the backfield with me yelling, "Go, you idiot!!"

We got some REAL enjoyment from a game his dad had. It was Foto Electric Football. The game just consisted of a set of offensive play cards and defensive alignment cards. There was a light bulb in the box under the "field," and you'd each put in your play card and then slowly pull back a reveal card to show where the ballcarrier/passer went. Wherever their path intersected with a defensive guy's position was where the ball was downed. It was a lot more satisfying when a play worked for you.

On 12/26/2022 at 11:09 AM, DUCati855 said:

That was a fun read.

Unfortunately, watching electric football is like watching a Mario coached team.

Well played sir! You beat me to it.

• Thanks 1

Never understood electronic games, football was a year round event in my neighborhood. The best games were the mud bowls, in the rain. 

If there wasn't football there was, fortunately, always something to do outside, different era. 

We played Mud Football at my future best man's house... If the nearby river rose, there would be a couple inches of water where his mom's soon to be missing front lawn struggled to exist.

They had about a fifty yard run end to end, with the housed at one goal, and a highway overpass on the other.

Half o the guys would show up in cleats, and one kid always had to wear a cheap, lightly padded helmet.

The only injury in 6 years of games involved that dadgum helmet.

I ran up to field a short punt, and this kid slipped and fell right in front of me.

I tried to jump over him, and it would have worked... If he'd stayed down.

Nope. Couldn't do it... He stood up in perfect alignment with my right knee, resulting in a crushed helmet, a massive bruise on my quad, and the ban of all future football games on that yard in perpetuity. 

His mama took great umbrage with the hospital bill for his 3 day stay in a concussion protocol.

Those were the good old days!

AmIRight?!?!?

On 12/26/2022 at 1:09 PM, DUCati855 said:

That was a fun read.

I have to disagree 100%… watching electric football was a hell of a lot more entertaining than Mario ball!

You never knew where players were going to go in electric football, Mario ball… it was like reading a dirty magazine, you always knew what you were going to see (it was always the excellent articles 😂).

But then again I could be wrong.