Pennsylvania Duck

California College Athletes Would Take in Revenue in Proposed Bill

On Thursday, California Assembly member Chris Holden introduced the College Athlete Protection Act, which would require institutions that fund major college sports to pay as much as $25,000 annually to athletes. This would come along with the cost of covering six-year guaranteed athletic scholarships and post-college medical expenses.

Holden is a former San Diego State basketball player. Payment amounts would be based on how much revenue the athletic programs earn on an annual basis. A portion of the pay would be tied to graduation. However, the bill would not classify athletes as employees of their universities, a battle the NCAA continues to fight for.

And to make sure institutions are held accountable, Assembly Bill 252 calls for the suspension of athletic directors for at least three years if roster spots are cut, scholarships reduced or programs discontinued. AB252 would preserve all programs – not just ones producing revenue – and ensure Title IX compliance.

Holy moly! This guy is asking for everything under the sun. How many colleges can afford this and be hand tied at the same time? You can read his reasoning in the article below...

WWW.ON3.COM

California legislator Chris Holden has introduced a bill that would allow college athletes to take a cut of revenue.

The proposal would require schools to share up to 50% of revenue with athletes that compete in programs that bring in twice as much in revenue as they spend on scholarships. $25,000 per year is the cap while they are in school.

It is estimated that a USC football player that competes for 4 years and graduates could receive around $800,000 for their efforts. Money owed over and above the $25,000 cap would be required to be set aside for the athlete and paid after they graduate. 

The biggest concern is that a school is no longer able to afford scholarships for non-profitable sports. However, the proposal then penalizes the school for cutting scholarships. 

Interesting. 

I know everybody pads the books, but as far as I am aware, around 90% of colleges athletic departments don't make money.  I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it will reduce the number of Olympic sports.  I doubt the penalties would be more the amount of money lost if they kept the sports. 

You would essentially have football and men's basketball and no other men's sports.  Then, however many women sports would be required to stay compliant with Title IX.