Kurt Rambis

Clemson and FSU Are Unhappy with Media Money

Sound familiar?  Different situation, but some of the same problems...

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Don't expect FSU and Clemson to add to conference realignment unless they clear some financial hurdles

It sure does Kurt. I feel like at this point sometime soon the dam is going to break on all this and college football is going to change again. My only concern is the Ducks being apart of it which they should be.

On 2/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, Kurt Rambis said:

Sound familiar?  Different situation, but some of the same problems...

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

Don't expect FSU and Clemson to add to conference realignment unless they clear some financial hurdles

The ACC media deal is terrible! I do not see it holding up through its end date of 2036? I believe these are coordinated shots by 2 of the ACC's power programs across the ACC bow as these 2 schools would be welcome by the SEC (over the objections of Florida and South Carolina) at any time they are available.

I think we will see more of 'this?' How long will Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and yes, USC, be happy with getting the same cut as Rutgers and Northwestern?

It is a good thing this is the off-season, and I have nothing else to read. Because if it was during the season with all of the interesting things happening, I would skip all this conference, realignment nonsense, because it is just an ongoing drama that gets old.

It is the college football equivalent of “Game of Thrones”…

• Applause 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 2/27/2023 at 7:31 PM, Charles Fischer said:

It is the college football, equivalent of “Game of Thrones”…

...and winter is coming.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is more than a trend IMO. I expect that the 'big boys' in all conferences will soon want a bigger piece of the media pie.

'A complete and utter mess:' College athletics in turmoil as model changes, revenue streams dry up

The collegiate model is changing and revenue streams might soon be too shallow to adequately fill the growing money pit. Name, Image, and Likeness laws have led boosters to trim donations to athletic departments so they can instead pay players directly through NIL deals.

Before that philosophical shift by boosters, the average operating deficit among FBS programs was $18.8 million in 2019. Departments were already struggling thanks in part to the introduction of cost-of-attendance stipends in the mid-2010s, when schools began paying players.

More recently, the NCAA began allowing universities to pay players academic bonuses tagged as high as $5,980. Only 22 of 130 FBS institutions chose to do so in 2022, according to ESPN.

Many administrators are pinching pennies, preparing for what they believe is an inevitability: the day student-athletes become student-athlete-employees at universities.

It’s the most significant financial threat to the collegiate model, and the walls are closing in as the NCAA continues to lose antitrust lawsuits.

247SPORTS.COM

The landscape is changing for linear and streaming platforms, and as expenses increase for universities, the value of live sports...