FishDuck Article

The Will Stein Oregon Offense: Double Slants/Spot Concept

Throughout the off-season, we’ve taken a look at a handful of run/RPO plays that newly appointed offensive coordinator Will Stein could implement with the Oregon Ducks. Here we’re going to take a look at the drop back passing game. Coach Stein likes to utilize dual concepts in the same play; one to attack man coverage and the other to attack ...

FISHDUCK.COM

Throughout the off-season, we've taken a look at a handful of run/RPO plays that newly appointed offensive coordinator Will Stein could...
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Thanks, Coach Boles, for the film review of a great passing concept.  QB does have an easy read!   RB was wide open - nobody picked him up.  Easy for QB to check down to him if he wanted to.

Spring ball is coming.  Go Ducks!

• Thumbs Up 1

Thanks, Coach.  Your play studies are invaluable for those of us unfamiliar with some of the concepts.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 3/6/2023 at 2:05 AM, FishDuck Article said:

dual concepts in the same play

That's a great break down for that play, please keep them coming.  I noticed that the LB's blitzed on that play so the slot had a free run through the center of the field.  Without the QB pressure I assume he would have checked down to the RB in that play?

Your play explanations are just the best, and this helps us see how offenses attack secondaries when they could be running split coverage.  Very cool and....

giphy.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/6/2023 at 9:28 AM, Smith72 said:

Thanks, Coach Boles, for the film review of a great passing concept.  QB does have an easy read!   RB was wide open - nobody picked him up.  Easy for QB to check down to him if he wanted to.

Spring ball is coming.  Go Ducks!

If the QB had gone the other direction, the RB would have picked up nice yardage too!

Edited by Coach Eric Boles

On 3/6/2023 at 11:32 AM, Duck Fan 76 said:

That's a great break down for that play, please keep them coming.  I noticed that the LB's blitzed on that play so the slot had a free run through the center of the field.  Without the QB pressure I assume he would have checked down to the RB in that play?

More than likely, if the LB doesn’t blitz, he’s covering someone else of the defense is playing zone. The read would be the same, but the slot would adjust his route a little to get upfield a bit more. 

On 3/6/2023 at 6:57 PM, Coach Eric Boles said:

The read would be the same, but the slot would adjust his route a little to get upfield a bit more. 

How often do you see man match coverage in college?  I remember something about Alabama's defense running man matched coverage and in that case wouldn't the linebacker pick up the inside leverage when the crossing route comes into his zone.  Obviously that's why QB's study film to know how each defense is likely to respond to the plays.