FishDuck Article

Oregon’s College Football Playoff: The One That Got Away

When Oregon fans look back, we often forget just how close we were to the CFB Playoff...

FISHDUCK.COM

A tradition after a round of golf is to look at the scorecard and talk yourself down to par. "If I hadn't hit my approach shot short and if only I had hit the…

• Thumbs Up 1

Two Sites: FishDuck and the Our Beloved Ducks forum, The only "Forum with Decorum!" And All-Volunteer? What a wonderful community of Duck fans!

Another FishDuck writer!  How very fortunate we Duck fans are!  Thanks CAMERON JOHANSSON for the memories!

• Thumbs Up 1

Cristobal's offense hurt us there; the boneheaded play-calling in the second half of the Auburn game was frustrating.  With ASU....there are days when the opposing team is on fire scoring points, and you need to be able to respond. Oregon could not.

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/29/2023 at 8:36 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Cristobal's offense hurt us there; the boneheaded play-calling in the second half of the Auburn game hurt us there.  With ASU....there are days when the opposing team is on fire scoring points, and you need to be able to respond. Oregon could not.

Yup.  Cristobal's conservative playcalling and insistence on a power run offense pulled from the '90s really hurt Oregon at the most crucial times.

On 3/29/2023 at 8:33 AM, Smith72 said:

Another FishDuck writer!  How very fortunate we Duck fans are!  Thanks CAMERON JOHANSSON for the memories!

Man I wish I were a good article writer, but I feel my grammar is weird and I'll never be able to do it.

On 3/29/2023 at 9:56 AM, Thomallister1291 said:

Man I wish I were a good article writer, but I feel my grammar is weird and I'll never be able to do it.

Well, please keep posting your thoughts here, as we enjoy your writing in the forum!

Mr. FishDuck

On 3/29/2023 at 11:04 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Well, please keep posting your thoughts here, as we enjoy your writing in the forum!

Thanks for the very kind words!

Anyways back on topic, I do remember being amazed at the Auburn loss because of how stupid it was, I know most people would say that we should have scheduled a weaker opponent but Auburn right now, despite being an SEC program, isn't doing very well like it was in 2010.

I think we could have gotten into the playoff if we only had one loss.

"...with the new Dan Lanning era of coaching expertise and recruiting–might Our Beloved Ducks be in that position again soon?"

I feel we definitely have the potential and we will certainly know more at the end of 2023 on the program trajectory.  It's hard to ask much more of a new staff than the offensive turnaround we saw in 2022.  Credit to MC that offensive line was possibly the best in school history.  Credit to DL for seeing the opportunities to put the O back in Oregon.  Progress on defense is still an unknown and special teams was poor so more work needs to be done.

Like many on the forum I'm a believer that Oregon's defense will take more time to settle in on its actual trajectory but I'm hopeful that we "could" see significant progress in 2023.  There are certainly risks to the 2023 roster and some unknowns on the staff but I feel Oregon's 2023 expectations are to play for the conference title.  Less than competing in Vegas will be seen as an overall negative based on talent mismatch.

We've talked a lot about coaching stability but if the 2023 season continues to show a positive bubble for the program I would hope that the AD moves to lock in DL for a much longer term as Oregon's HC.  If DL's system proves to be workable for Oregon then we should try and cement him as the Oregon HC for the long haul.  I think it will honestly come down to a question of his goals but if his methods prove out then Oregon needs to try.

Everyone, including DL knows that the ultimate goal is to win a National Championship at Oregon.  To accomplish that we need to see consistent program growth and Oregon needs to be making it into the 12 team playoff consistently over the next 10 years. 

When will we win?  Too hard to predict, but look at how long it took Kirby Smart to get Georgia where they are.  Georgia has geographic advantages but Oregon has the Nike relationship.  So no excuses, "Just Do It".  

• Great post! 1

Great take, thanks.

I look at the scorecard in order to calculate how much money I owe my opponents. 

• Haha 1

On 3/29/2023 at 1:38 PM, Duck Fan 76 said:

"...with the new Dan Lanning era of coaching expertise and recruiting–might Our Beloved Ducks be in that position again soon?"

I feel we definitely have the potential and we will certainly know more at the end of 2023 on the program trajectory.  It's hard to ask much more of a new staff than the offensive turnaround we saw in 2022.  Credit to MC that offensive line was possibly the best in school history.  Credit to DL for seeing the opportunities to put the O back in Oregon.  Progress on defense is still an unknown and special teams was poor so more work needs to be done.

Like many on the forum I'm a believer that Oregon's defense will take more time to settle in on its actual trajectory but I'm hopeful that we "could" see significant progress in 2023.  There are certainly risks to the 2023 roster and some unknowns on the staff but I feel Oregon's 2023 expectations are to play for the conference title.  Less than competing in Vegas will be seen as an overall negative based on talent mismatch.

We've talked a lot about coaching stability but if the 2023 season continues to show a positive bubble for the program I would hope that the AD moves to lock in DL for a much longer term as Oregon's HC.  If DL's system proves to be workable for Oregon then we should try and cement him as the Oregon HC for the long haul.  I think it will honestly come down to a question of his goals but if his methods prove out then Oregon needs to try.

Everyone, including DL knows that the ultimate goal is to win a National Championship at Oregon.  To accomplish that we need to see consistent program growth and Oregon needs to be making it into the 12 team playoff consistently over the next 10 years. 

When will we win?  Too hard to predict, but look at how long it took Kirby Smart to get Georgia where they are.  Georgia has geographic advantages but Oregon has the Nike relationship.  So no excuses, "Just Do It".  

It is still all about the Jimmies and the Joes. Oregon does have a Blue Chip Roster (more than 50% 4* and 5* recruits) but is not close to the roster strength of a number of SEC teams and Ohio State. 

When the playoff goes to 12 teams it will be very difficult for any team without a 1st round bye to win 3 games in a row. 

TCU had the talent and scheme to beat Michigan but was blown out by Georgia.

The SEC has owned (along with SE located Clemson) the BCS and the BCS x 2 so-called playoffs. I see no reason for this to change. Division Street is a top-drawer NIL partner but is not going to outspend the zealot boosters in the SEC. 

The big boys play their football in the southeast. Oregon will get a recruit or two from the southeast but never on the same plane as Bama, LSU, Georgia, Florida, A+M, Auburn, and other southeast teams such as Clemson and FSU.

The OL and DL guys who played for Carroll at USC are not as plentiful out west as once was the case. And the SEC is enticing because of the number of players year after year it puts into the NFL.

Also, the SEC is by far the most-watched conference in America. The SEC has tons of money and invests tons of money in football and other sports. The SEC places a premium on winning and not on academics.

Oregon came close twice doing it with a then-unique scheme. Oregon could win it all in football but it will take all-world recruiting and outstanding coaching.

On 3/29/2023 at 11:36 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Cristobal's offense hurt us there; the boneheaded play-calling in the second half of the Auburn game was frustrating.  With ASU....there are days when the opposing team is on fire scoring points, and you need to be able to respond. Oregon could not.

Coach Lombardi would have loved Mario's scheme but Coach Lombardi and his scheme are both long gone.

Thankfully Mario left Oregon before completely ruining the brand. 

He will recruit well at Miami but we will see the Canes not playing to its roster ranking. We will see the talent of talented QBs wasted. 

(This season Oregon plays at Texas Tech and against former Duck, Tyler Shough. Texas Tech is 8 and 0 in games Tyler has started and finished and the Red Raiders in 2022 ran more plays than any team in the nation and blew out Ole Miss in its bowl game. Shough's talent was wasted at Oregon. And Justin Herbert in the NFL compared to his play at Oregon speaks for itself.)

• Thumbs Up 1