Charles Fischer

A Pretty Incredible Two Days for Our Beloved Ducks...

Stanford was leading the league in wins, and has arguably the most potent scoring offense.  Yet they have only scored ONE run in two games versus Oregon pitching that has left us breathless from their effectiveness.

Roseburg native Jace Stoffal held the 'Furd scoreless last night with only three hits, as this was not over five or six innings, but he went all nine innings!  Then we saw Logan Mercado also go NINE innings today for the first time in his career with no relief, and yet he only gave up one run with five scattered hits.  It is the darndest back-to-back games for Oregon pitching I have ever seen.  And this was against the No. 8 (or No. 7) team in the nation?  (4-0 win Friday)

Mercado threw for 92 mph in the 9th inning after 100 pitches?  The growth and development of both pitchers over the last two years is something to behold and be proud of as Oregon fans--as I am blown away.

Last night our battling lineup got to a Top-100 Draft pick pitcher with a 2.58 ERA coming into the game.  Today the Ducks gave the hot-shot freshman Cardinal pitcher his first college loss and the most runs ever given up.  (He had an incredible 2.09 ERA coming into the game)  An 8-1 win...

Jacob Walsh has three homers in two games, so the Ducks have a number of candidates for Pac-12 Players/Pitchers of the Week.  Whew!

Great crowd, and Coach Waz has quite a luxury of being able to pull the starter on Sunday (noon) if he is not sharp out of the gate because we have the ENTIRE bullpen available!  The most fresh arms ever for a third game, and if Oregon could win it--the Ducks would be square in the Pac-12 championship race.  Just WOW.

Logan Mercado exults...

April 15, 2023: Stanford @ UO.  Photo: Deborah Mundorff, Well, Shoot! Photography

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Great game, the pitching this year is really looking up and the batting is something to behold. When this team comes out swing watch out!

The fielding has also been on point with very few errors and smart decision. How about that diving catch by Shade! 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Keep in mind these are mostly freshman pitchers... Oregon's veterans haven't gotten up to speed yet after spending the better part of the seaon battling back from injury.

Sheesh!

• Thumbs Up 2

I can't help but wonder how Bruins and Trojans pitchers will fare when playing in the Midwest and on the east coast in March and April

Then again, I really don't care.

“North” teams have not won a Baseball ‘Natty in 30 years, and the exception was Oregon State.

And the LA schools won’t be in the sunshine as much, no doubt.

Traveling back east for a full three-game series will be a full travel day both directions.

But they and everyone (including us) would do it for the money.

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/16/2023 at 12:10 PM, Charles Fischer said:

“North” teams have not won a Baseball ‘Natty in 30 years, and the exception was Oregon State.

And the LA schools won’t be in the sunshine as much, no doubt.

Traveling back east for a full three-game series will be a full travel day both directions.

But they and everyone (including us) would do it for the money.

But are 'they' doing it for the money or is their school doing it to them for the money?

An estimated $70M a year in media revenue is nice but how much will trickle down to the athletes; especially, the non-revenue athletes?

When it comes to recruiting non-revenue sports athletes I think travel may have a significant negative effect. I'm hoping travel issues will help Oregon's cause when recruiting in California for all sports. 

Charles, as the godfather of this great site, how much of a  B1G media revenue slice would it take to convince you that Oregon needs to go to the B1G? I wrestle with this question. Should Oregon and likely UW make life easier for the LA schools by agreeing to be a 'junior partner?' 

On 4/16/2023 at 12:39 PM, Jon Joseph said:

Charles, as the godfather of this great site, how much of a  B1G media revenue slice would it take to convince you that Oregon needs to go to the B1G? I wrestle with this question. Should Oregon and likely UW make life easier for the LA schools by agreeing to be a 'junior partner?' 

Hi Jon. What an interesting question. You should start a separate thread with this subject.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 4/16/2023 at 10:02 AM, Pennsylvania Duck said:

Hi Jon. What an interesting question. You should start a separate thread with this subject.

Agreed.  It is an interesting item to ponder, but has nothing to do with the amazing last two days of Oregon Baseball.

Mr. FishDuck

On 4/15/2023 at 10:38 PM, woundedknees said:

Oregon's veterans haven't gotten up to speed

Well, they (RJ Gordon and Isaac Ayon) have not even played yet.  I wrote of this in prior Baseball threads--of how Waz had to make-do with Freshmen, and while inconsistent as freshmen will be--have helped Oregon a ton.

Speaking of which--we start freshman Leo Uelmen at noon today on the hill...

The good news I wrote of is the amazing development of the veterans who began to come on late last season, (Stoffal and Mercado) and have overcome some bumps along the way.  (Like giving up 10 runs in two innings at Arizona!)

Buy stock in Oregon Baseball--there is a high upside....

Oregon, baseball coach Mark Wasikowski agree to 5-year contract extension -  oregonlive.com

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck