Charles Fischer

Whoa. The Rumor About Penny Knight...Phil's Wife?

So I am watching the Oregon/Call game on the livestream via the Cal Athletic department, and they had a broadcaster who was well versed in Pac-12 Baseball.  (He wrote a book published this year about "Bears in the Big-Leagues" and spoke of Cal greats who had played on the field today's game was taking place on.)

He expressed how he is happy Oregon brought Baseball back, as the conference is better for it.

He stated that a rumor he heard, (and admitted he has no idea if it is true) that Penny Knight wanted Oregon to revive the Diamond Ducks--thus it eventually happened! Now I recognize that Pat Kilkenny and many other donors also made it happen in addition to the Knights, but perhaps she provided the impetus to get the project to first base?

So, I come away with three observations of that rumor, if true:

1) I hear a ton of stuff over time, as I am quite the fan--and I've never heard this!

2) It makes me love the Knights even more, as I am an avid Oregon Baseball fan.

3) As powerful and influential as Phil is in the world?  In the end he has to make his spouse happy as the rest of us men do!  Happy wife, happy life!  Right?

Gift from Phil and Penny Knight launches scientific endeavor to combat  neurodegeneration

If true...thank you Penny!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 4

Mr. FishDuck

I was a student at Oregon when baseball was eliminated. That was probably around 1980.

Phil and Penny Knight made a huge donation to Oregon athletics which helped to build the Matthew Knight arena. If I remember correctly baseball returned to Oregon shortly after that donation was made to the athletic department.

Phil and Penny Knight’s generosity to the University of Oregon has reshaped the University. The return of baseball may very well have been a special request from Penny Knight.

If it was her request, then somebody made sure it happened.

I kind of like the idea that Phil would make a few extra phone calls to make sure that life at home was happy. 

Edited by Drake
  • Thumbs Up 1

There's no reason in my mind the the Ducks should have let baseball go, and OSU still had it.

I would love to know the truth; regardless it is good-or-good.  It is great if the story is true, but if it is not--many thanks to those who did bring it back.

We have some GREAT YEARS of Oregon Baseball in front of us!

Damn Husky is OUT at home!

Husky out at Home_Eric Evans Twitter.jpg

Mr. FishDuck