Pennsylvania Duck

College Football Playoff: Future Schedules, Venues, Much More as Spring Meeting is Underway

The 100-plus page agenda for this week's College Football Playoff spring meeting might as well be a precursor. The toughest stuff is still to come.

The annual meeting in Irving, Texas, held Tuesday through Thursday, will review the 2022 season and begin planning for the 10th year of the playoff -- largely routine stuff.

However, this season will mark the last with four playoff teams. The expanded 12-team playoff begins in 2024 for two seasons before the entire enterprise is reconsidered for 2026 and beyond.

Everything from media rights to game sites remains to be determined. About the only certainty for 2026, when the current contract expires, is that the 12-team bracket will continue.

Given it took nearly 1 ½ years -- from presentation in June 2021 to final approval in December 2022 -- to create the expanded playoff, it's never too early to begin planning for the future including the following issues:

• -- Future playoff schedules
  • -- Future playoff venues
  • -- Revenue distribution
  • -- Next media rights deal

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

A three-day meeting with top CFP stakeholders begins Tuesday in Texas

Read this take by our buddy, Dennis Dodd, earlier today. Pretty good take.

I guess that come 2026 we will have a 16-team field. There will be no 1st round byes. 

Another way to shorten the season besides all teams playing in what is now week zero, play a cupcake FCS opponent in the spring game with the results counting in the following regular season reduced to 11 games including week 0. This would allow for conference champ games to be played on Friday and Saturday of Thanksgiving week with the field finalized that Sunday.

Schools not in the B1G and the SEC best carefully check out the details of the expanded playoff money being distributed more to contending teams and not the same amount for P5 teams and a lesser same amount to G5 teams.

Like the basketball tournament, I expect the B1G and the SEC, already way ahead of the other conferences financially, will have the majority of teams in the field season after season.

Thanks for the post.

Man, I do like the idea of playing conference championships around the weekend of Thanksgiving. In the event of a 16-team field with no byes, would all first-round games be played on campus  ya think? I think that this would amount to an additional home game for the Georgias,  Alabamas, OSUs and the like--and a wildly popular option for their fan bases. 

It is a bit depressing, to me at least, to have to gum up what is a potentially exciting playoff expansion with discussions of the almighty dollar. I know what kind of world college sports is becoming and it turns my stomach to see so many decisions absolutely driven by money mania.

Ok, that's my rant for the week.

• Thumbs Up 1