CamaroDMD

Helmet/Uniform Question

This is my first time posting here...so I hope this is OK to ask this question.  I am a lifelong Ducks fan (born and raised in Eugene and graduated from Oregon in 2007).  I have been a season ticket holder since 2012 but for the first time ever decided to attend the surplus sale this past weekend.  Hoping to snag some sweet gear, I was disappointed to be in nearly the worst possible spot in line with the ticket was drawn...so when I got in there wasn't a lot left.  But, I did snag a couple cool helmet shells that will make nice display pieces at home and at work.  Initially, I was disappointed but I realized that the shells might actually be fun because I will need to do some research to figure out why type and color of face mask they should have and make a little project out of them.

So, I think it will be a fun project.

That said, one of the helmets has created a bit of a mystery for me which I am hoping someone here might know the answer too.

I have attached photos below.  But, it's a "webfoots" themed helmet with an initial certification date of 2016 and a recertification date of 2017.  Based on my memory and some research I have done...Oregon did a webfoots themed spring game in 2016 but the helmets were gold in color.  In addition, the 2016 Washington-Oregon game had blue webfoot helmets with the state flag.  I can't find any other webfoot themed helmets/uniforms.  In addition, I can't even find any evidence that a white helmet with a yellow O was used during these years at all (not even in practice photos - which are mostly white with a green O or black helmets during this era).  

So, I'm kinda at a loss.  I suppose someone could have assembled this helmet from a random assortment of parts...but why?  At the surplus sale they sell tons of helmet shells without padding or bumpers on them...so I don't see a reason to create a bastardized webfoots helmet.  

So, I don't really know what to make of this.  It's cool looking and I'm glad I snagged it, but it's a mystery to me what it actually is.

I also thought maybe it was a mockup design that they never used...but it does show some dings so it saw some kind of action somewhere.  

If anyone here has any idea please let me know.

Also, I know that buy/sell/trade posts are against the rules so as a first time poster I don't want anyone to think that this is some kind of thinly veiled ad.  I bought this for my own enjoyment and am not trying to do anything other than learn about it.  Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Great to see you here and a great post. Unfortunately, I have to duck the great question. 

I have no idea what the answer is but many folks on this board are more steeped in Oregon lore than I. 

On 5/8/2023 at 11:38 AM, Jon Joseph said:

Great to see you here and a great post. Unfortunately, I have to duck the great question. 

I have no idea what the answer is but many folks on this board are more steeped in Oregon lore than I. 

That's for the reply.  This place seems like a great community...I've been a member of many message boards in the past but never one about my beloved Ducks...so I plan on sticking around and being part of the community.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Hello CamaroDMD, it is great to see you join us, and do post your thoughts often.  WELCOME!

As for your helmet question...whew!  You stumped me, and I've been kind of a uniform junkie over the years.  I agree with you in that I've seen the Apple-Green "O" on white practice, and the darker green "O" on white helmets such as the Dennis Dixon in your avatar I popped in for you.  But a yellow "O"?  I do not recall it at all.

I have to assume that it either was a short-lived practice helmet, or it was an experiment for a while.  About 17 years ago...a few players were practicing with a helmet that changed color when the light hit it...like a Mallard Duck head!  It went from green to blue or vice-versa, and I wrote about it in one of my "Fish Reports" at that time, but it was an experiment that did not fly apparently.

If you have another avatar you would prefer--email it to me, or email the link and I'll pop it in.  Below are the "O" helmets I have given people as avatars over the years...no yellow on white!  Fun topic to me, and it is cool you got down here, and acquired a fantastic coffee table conversation piece.  (Although the wife may not approve, I DO!)

5 Green 1999.jpg

7 Yellow 2015.jpg

8 Green 2014 Playoff.jpg

11 Black 2011.jpg

62 Silver 2011.jpg

63 Yellow 2017.jpg

69 Silver 2015.jpg

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/8/2023 at 2:14 PM, CamaroDMD said:

This is my first time posting here...so I hope this is OK to ask this question.  I am a lifelong Ducks fan (born and raised in Eugene and graduated from Oregon in 2007).  I have been a season ticket holder since 2012 but for the first time ever decided to attend the surplus sale this past weekend.  Hoping to snag some sweet gear, I was disappointed to be in nearly the worst possible spot in line with the ticket was drawn...so when I got in there wasn't a lot left.  But, I did snag a couple cool helmet shells that will make nice display pieces at home and at work.  Initially, I was disappointed but I realized that the shells might actually be fun because I will need to do some research to figure out why type and color of face mask they should have and make a little project out of them.

Hi CamaroDMD.  Welcome!  They've used a white uniform with a white helmet in 2010, looked like this:

b30fae414e9d41dfbd64c5599878457b.jpg?res

This one was used in 2016 that looked like this:

USATSI_9562690.jpg?resize=2048,1365

Both of these are the only two white helmets where the "O" was used.  Neither had the color yellow.

Here is the article written back in 2022 titled "Oregon Ducks football helmets throughout the years."

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

At this point, the Oregon Ducks are synonymous with flashy uniforms and a rotating stable of helmets. Let’s see how those helmets have changed over the years.

I wish I could've helped, but couldn't find that specific helmet.

The dysentery loss to WSU was a disaster and the Oregon Trail blue/gold uni is one of the most forgettable episodes in recent Duck memory

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe contact Kenny Farr, the Equipment Manager, and ask him?

On Twitter: @KFARRGODUCKS

• Thanks 1

On 5/8/2023 at 12:35 PM, NJDuck said:

Hi CamaroDMD.  Welcome!  They've used a white uniform with a white helmet in 2010, looked like this:

b30fae414e9d41dfbd64c5599878457b.jpg?res

This one was used in 2016 that looked like this:

Both of these are the only two white helmets where the "O" was used.  Neither had the color yellow.

Here is the article written back in 2022 titled "Oregon Ducks football helmets throughout the years."

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

At this point, the Oregon Ducks are synonymous with flashy uniforms and a rotating stable of helmets. Let’s see how those helmets have changed over the years.

I wish I could've helped, but couldn't find that specific helmet.

This helmet is dated initially 2016 (and recertified 2017) so it can't date back to 2010.  Also, white helmet shown from 2016 with the orange facemask (and the other two white helmet games that year) actually had a mother of pearl sparkly look to them...this is simply glossy white.  (I actually picked up a green-O sparkly white helmet shell as well which I'm gonna put an orange facemask on).

It's nice to see that I'm not the only one somewhat stumped by this helmet.  haha.

Hopefully someone will see it and know a little more but if not...any suggestions as to what color facemask should go on it?  White seems like the simplest answer to me...

• Thumbs Up 1

Green face mask is my choice...but they are all good!

Mr. FishDuck

On 5/8/2023 at 12:35 PM, NJDuck said:

Oh man, the "Puddles" uniforms. I've tried to forget these even existed. Such a bad time for the program. 

Dressing like the mascot is never a good idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

About 10 minute mark they are looking at helmets…if nothing else it will give you some ideas.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1