NJDuck

Canzano: Early Offer Comes with Valuable Advice

Ducks offer scholarship to eighth grader, Josiah Molden.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Ducks offer scholarship to eighth grader, Josiah Molden.

This in my opinion is a cheap and unnecessary PR play.

Does anyone wonder why we have a lot of young prima donnas walking around today?

By the time the young man matriculates how many folks involved in the offer will be in Eugene? 

Shame on DL and his staff. 

This is the kind of stuff I expect to see Lane Kiffin involved and not Oregon.

Joey Harrington was offered at his birth.

• Mic drop 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

His son will be playing for West Linn, which are the defending state champions. An article that I came across states that he is a very good athlete, and may actually start his freshman year. 

Alex Molden, his father, can give him sound advice.

Alex had a devastating injury while playing at Oregon, and worked his way back onto the football field. He then performed well enough to be selected in the NFL draft. 

I don’t know Alex, but I am familiar with people that know his son. This offer may not be too far-fetched at all. 

Edited by Drake

Nothing surprises me any more.

Why is this shameful? Every single kid is offered a scholarship as a minor. Maybe another way to look at it would be if a 6 year old had a set of pipes and he wanted to sing, why couldn't he? Michael Jackson? 10 years old, Marie Osmond? Tanya Tucker? 14 years old.

Tell me, if because of your talent, someone offered you an opportunity to cash in on that talent, would you walk away? Sure, a kid needs to be a kid. With that I wholeheartedly agree. 

However, if I had talent that was flirting with potential professional level compensation, you better believe I would want to cash in on that opportunity. 2 nucleus family members playing in the NFL sounds like its not a pipe dream. If you can play, you get a shot.

I'm reminded of when I was a teenager that my Grandfather wanted to pay me based on my age and not on my accomplishment. I worked just as hard and produced just as much as full grown men and I was only 15. My uncle chimed in and said, 'If he works like a man you should pay him like a man'. He gave in to paying me piece work. That inspired me even more and I showed up earlier and worked even harder. So, I'm in the camp of if you prove it then you get the reward. No free rides without proof. If you're good enough you get the reward regardless of age. There's no shame in that.

• Thumbs Up 3