Charles Fischer

Ducks Dominate 91-73 over Arizona State: Thoughts?

We have a link to a nice game recap right here, and it was a nice way to start the conference tournament.  Will Richardson had a superb game shooting 6-9 for 17 points, nine assists and led the team in rebounds with seven.  LJ Figueroa led all scorers with 21 points on a superb 9-16 shooting, and the nice surprise was Chandler Lawson's 10 points in 15 minutes of action.

Thoughts about tomorrow?  Conference Tournament Semi-finals are at 5:30 PST on the Pac-12 Network.

Eugene Omoruyi Pac-12 Tournament

Mr. FishDuck

With the exception of free throw shooting it was as you indicated a total domination by our Ducks.

59%  on field goals

55.6% from beyond the arc

+3 on rebounds

+5 on assists

-4 on personal fouls

-2 on turnovers

+6 on points from turnovers

+5 on second chance points

+19 on bench points

+28 on points in the paint

+3 on blocked shots

+1 on steals

And Duarte had a quiet game

Altman was able to go deep into the bench and played 11 men

Edited by ICamel

Altman's team peaking right on time.

Nice to see Kapnack get a few minutes and play well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I didn't get to see the game.......darn Pac12 network 😡.

From the box score I am happy to see so many guys get into the action. Curious why Duarte was so quiet though. Hopefully it helped him rest up for big games the next two days.

• Thumbs Up 2

Thoughts?  I think.......I loved it!!!  Richardson, Omo, Figueroa, and Duarte make a 4 headed monster!  Along with The undersung Williams........last time we had 5 starters who could score was 2016——-and, we went to the Final Four!  So......hope and enthusiasm abounds!  One at a time, though.  Can’t overlook any opponent, as.....they’re all capable.  LOVE the way the team seems to respond to Altman’s timeouts!

In sum: GO DUCKS!!!

Matt Muehlebach who was doing sideline reporting for Pac12 Networks commented after the game that he thinks Oregon is a Sweet16 team, and that he could see them winning two more beyond that. That would take them to the Final4

Oregon State stuns UCLA and wins in overtime. Next stop Oregon vs Oregon State on Friday at 5:30pm. GO DUCKS!

What I really like about this Duck team is that while once again they are the best 3 point shooting team in the conference, what makes them so good this year is the points in the paint. It's the best inside team the Ducks have had with Altman. The way they can work the ball around and very often find a player open at the basket is remarkable.

I also want to note that yes, no Walton, so we were gifted by fellow former Bruin,  Don MacLean and his brilliant commentary, including this gem, "Trading baskets isn't going to help ASU, down 14". 

XDYx4TvP?format=jpg&name=900x900

Edited by 30Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

It's the best inside team the Ducks have had with Altman.

That is amazing considering we don't have any real "bigs!"

2 minutes ago, 30Duck said:

Don MacLean and his brilliant commentary, including this gem, "Trading baskets isn't going to help ASU, down 14". 

Look at the bright side....at least he was talking about the game and not asking whether you've been to Uzbekistan!

• Haha 1

Mr. FishDuck

That is amazing considering we don't have any real "bigs”

Yes,  Very true!  It’s a Shame we don’t have Dante.  That’s how this team is different from the 2016 team that had Bell and Boucher.  And......we’re likely to run into a real problem if/when we come up against a team with a talented Big.....or two.   But....it IS as Walton said: this is a small team reminiscent of the NCAA UCLA Champs before Kareem, I.e. the Walt Hazzard/Gail Goodrich teams....I think no one was taller than 6’5”.  

THIS Duck team, with Richardson, Duarte, Omoruyi, and the currently busting-out Figueroa might even have MORE talent than those earlier UCLA teams, ‘cause it has MORE potential big scorers.  I’m not slighting Williams, either....as he’s got game, too.   And......even if we DID have Dante.....then who do you sit?

So, kudos to Altman for finding and collecting this talent in the post-Pritchard era,....and the several defections from last year’s team....and getting them to gel into this potent offensive and defensive unit!

I see that we play the Beavs again tomorrow, so...........GO DUCKS!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1