Notalot

Financial Deficits: WSU President's Statement

Bollocks!

WWW.KREM.COM

Athletic Director Pat Chun said there will be a temporary freeze on current and future positions, non-essential travel and new professional development.

The UCLA athletic department was operating deep in the red. That was probably the catalyst which prompted them to leave for “greener pastures”.

Therefore, no surprise that a college the size of WSU is having financial troubles competing in the PAC.

The last amount that I recall Oregon was spending on athletics was over $100 million for the year.

Being faced with a media rights negotiation that some people hope lands in the area of $30 million, being an Athletic Director is not for the faint of heart. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/23/2023 at 2:32 PM, Drake said:

The UCLA athletic department was operating deep in the red. That was probably the catalyst which prompted them to leave for “greener pastures”.

Therefore, no surprise that a college the size of WSU is having financial troubles competing in the PAC.

The last amount that I recall Oregon was spending on athletics was over $100 million for the year.

Being faced with a media rights negotiation that some people hope lands in the area of $30 million, being an Athletic Director is not for the faint of heart. 

Chun is rumored to be on the shortlist for the SC job. Does Rob have his hat in the ring? He did when the UGA and TX A+M jobs came up.

BTW, take a look at Rob's Org Chart and tell me there aren't some savings there.

Commissioner GK hired consultants to help with the media deal. If the 'commissioner's job' rotated among Pac-10 athletic directors an AD could do the same and would there be a drop-off in productivity and results? What does a conference commissioner do all day long?

Most colleges athletic departments run a deficit.  I'm pulling a random number, but something like only 30 colleges athletic departments make an actual profit.