Charles Fischer

Oregon's First Pac-12 Championship/Tournament Championship in 60 YEARS is a BIG Step...

In the gradual rebuild of the Oregon Baseball program, Coach Waz is trying to show the fans and recruits steady progress upward. Again it has been gradual with the transition from a "Small-Ball" team to a hitting team again between making PK Park more hitting-compatible, along with recruiting bigger players who get stronger in Oregon's weight room.

The amount of offensive records broken under Waz is more than we have time for, but it is impressive and proof of the progress. But Oregon has had some real bad-luck injuries with pitchers, and yet the Ducks have overcome many of the handicaps that come with that.

Oregon went into the Pac-12 Tournament without three of last year's starting pitchers due to injury who returned this year in Isaac Ayon, RJ Gordon, and Andrew Mosiello. To make it worse--we only had ONE stud starting pitcher this year in Jace Stoffal, and he has been out for three weeks due to injury!  Four starting pitchers out?  That usually spells disaster...

Team - Pac-12 Tournament Champs

Yet this coaching staff was able to make it work with a ton of freshmen and relievers who came through in clutch situations in Phoenix this weekend.  We are at a big disadvantage going into the NCAAs, and the hope is that two of the injured pitchers can still join the rotation for Oregon.

In the meantime...we have a ton of freshmen/sophomore pitchers who have acquired so much game experience that they will be quite savvy next year.  It is a shame, because as good of hitting team as it is--with three stud starting pitchers--Oregon would seriously in the discussions of making Omaha, and challenging for it all.  Waz recruited the pitching talent, but some bad luck injuries kept this team from its full potential.

This is the first conference championship of any type...regular season or tournament for the Ducks in 60 years.  For all the injury setbacks--this is something huge for Waz to point to when talking to recruits, and certainly raises the interest of the fans locally in Eugene.

The future is bright for Oregon Baseball!

(We find out where Oregon goes to play this next week on Monday morning at 9:00 AM PDT on ESPN2)

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 6
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

Mr. FishDuck

• Great post! 1

Mr. FishDuck

I don't know why but I feel I'm one of the few Oregon fans who does care about the baseball program, I'm glad that we have shown signs of improvement and winning a conference title after a 60 year drought feels extremely nice.

Our next goal is finally making the College World Series after the 1954 appearence.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I loved that S.Eugene grad, dual sport (DB on our football team) athelete Bryce Boettcher was in the game to make the last out. Totally cool.

Keep it going guys!

• Thumbs Up 1

Austin Anderson, one of the relief pitchers is from Roseburg! The catcher who made the alternative team, Bennett Thompson, is from Medford! We love to see the Oregon players, do well!

• Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

After watching all of the tournament games, I just might become a baseball fan again.  Those were great, dramatic games that led to beautiful outcomes.

Does anyone know what the four pitchers' injuries are?  It seems like I recall that Stoffal has a blister on his throwing hand.  🤔  If so, he has a decent chance of returning for the NCAA's.

I thought in one of the many interviews coach was made reference to a nerve issue in Stoffel’s finger.

• Thanks 1

Mr. FishDuck

Having a good pitching staff is imperative when you go to regional play. I hope ours can hold up and get thru the first regional. Would be a big step for recruiting next year.