Bruce3404

Oregon's Chances: NCAA Track and Field Championships

I rely on the form charts from the OR track Proboards (simply based on marks dating back to the first outdoor meet) as well as FloTrack and Track and Field News, both of which take recent marks and injuries into consideration.  Let's get the men over with first.....they're completely out of it and the best projection has them scoring 5 points.  How ugly is 5 points?  Well, Harvard is projected to score 10.  The single Duck projected to score is the injury-prone Micah Williams in the 100m.

On the women's side, best marks aren't translating very well in real time.  While OR Proboards has the Ducks finishing 3rd, Track and Field News projects 5th and, worse yet, a whopping 18 points from 3rd. Flotrack is a little kinder showing the women at 4th, but at least only 6 points out of third.  The Austin heat won't provide any sort of advantage and there are very few fans willing to spend the time and money to watch the men flop and the women probably not make the podium and a few parents aren't going to make much noise. 

The meet will be covered in full, with most field events on ESPN+ and the running events on ESPN2.  This is some of the most comprehensive coverage I've seen in recent NCAA meets, but it'll cost you $9.99 for the ESPN+ feed.  The meet starts tomorrow afternoon and runs through Saturday.

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Thank you very much for the information, Bruce!  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 2

Speaking of projections, when exactly is our new Hayward Field supposed to pay off in the recruiting department?

On 6/6/2023 at 11:32 PM, 2002duck said:

Speaking of projections, when exactly is our new Hayward Field supposed to pay off in the recruiting department?

Excellent question.  I had thought that as they approached the finish of construction, that would have gotten recruits excited.  Didn't quite work out that way, but it appears that the incoming class next year will be a lot better and some of our freshmen had pretty good seasons that may translate into NCAA championship appearances, if not points. 

I have a feeling that former coach Johnson's eminent firing also contributed to the mediocre recruiting classes of the past few years.  We don't know the details of the firing, but I would bet the coaches recruiting against the Ducks were happy to share what was going on.

Seeing Coach Powell win the Mens Pac-12 Championship at Washington turned my stomach...

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/8/2023 at 11:44 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Seeing Coach Powell win the Mens Pac-12 Championship at Washington turned my stomach...

Yeah, I wondered about that when the Powells left Oregon. I see the Huskies also have two ex-Duck distance runners on their T & fricken coaching staff (Kwiatkowski and Prakel). Hopefully, Schumacher will get the program on the upswing quickly.

It's tough to watch the NCAA distance races (even the preliminary rounds) and only see an occasional Duck entered.

• Thumbs Up 1