Charles Fischer

Canzano Suggests That UCLA May Return to the Pac-12?

A week or so ago John wrote in one of his paywall articles, that GK and other Pac-12 Admins withheld condemnation of the Bruins when the breakaway was announced.  He thought it might do well to not burn any bridges, as he thinks that between the travel expense and the "Cal Tax," that UCLA might change their mind being in the B1G after this contract expires.

I personally would welcome them back, as they left because of money and perhaps five/six years of being flush will bail them out of their situation.  They may also feel such a cultural shock with the Truck-Stop Conference, that the extra money may no longer be worth it?

Former Stanford Coach David Shaw felt this move to the B1G would have a self-correcting action for both LA schools when the current contract expires, as he thinks they will not find the grass as green as on the west coast.

USC and their fans can pound sand, but UCLA?  I've heard from more than one source that Bruin fans do not want to leave the Pac-12.  What say you?

Popo Will Play USC, but Not UCLA Again...

Popo Aumavae_Tom Corno.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Definitely the case where a lot of UCLA fans and alumini did not like this move.  Bill Walton certainly was against it.

It'd be great to see UCLA come back with its tail between its legs.  That being said, I'm sure Chip Kelly would prefer to compete in the Pac12 than the Big10 any day.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/bill-walton-condemns-ucla-move

• Applause 2

On 6/11/2023 at 11:42 PM, kirklandduck said:

Definitely the case where a lot of UCLA fans and alumini did not like this move.  Bill Walton certainly was against it.

It'd be great to see UCLA come back with its tail between its legs.  That being said, I'm sure Chip Kelly would prefer to compete in the Pac12 than the Big10 any day.

https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/bill-walton-condemns-ucla-move

The B1G media deal is now down $5M per year and rumored to be closer to $10M a year; less than represented to UCLA and USC when they went B1G.  

UCLA drew Michigan as one of its permanent opponents. UCLA football travels over 15,000 miles this season. OK kind of, for football but for non-revenue sports! And you can bet that Cal administrators will be lobbying for a hefty 'Calimony' tax payment. Especially in light of the Comcast foul-up and the consequent financial hit. Hats off to Cal for finally building an on-campus basketball facility but this has to be paid for. 

Of course, the Pac conference is not going to reject UCLA and the LA market returning to the fold. 

And of course, the leaders in the B1G are not clueless when it comes to the LA schools' travel issues. The former president of Oregon now at Northwestern has made public note of this issue. But will the B1G come with an offer for Oregon and UW or for Cal and Stanford which I'm certain the LA schools would prefer and notwithstanding Jimmy Lake's POV, have academic bona fides that the two Northwestern schools, although both are AAU members, do not. And does FOX, having laid off a number of folks at its news affiliate and/or B1G junior partners, CBS and NBC, have the money and the interest to add additional West Coast schools? 

The last chair in the CFB game of realignment musical chairs has yet to be moved. 

UCLA is not coming back.  It's time for everyone to move on.  The next time we play UCLA will be as conference rivals in the B1G.

On 6/12/2023 at 1:08 PM, Rufus said:

UCLA is not coming back.  It's time for everyone to move on.  The next time we play UCLA will be as conference rivals in the B1G.

Perhaps? However, first Oregon has to receive a B1G offer with the media money not being as big as the 16 B1G members in 2024 will receive. As noted above, if given the choice and both will have a vote, both SC and UCLA for competitive reasons and UCLA to eliminate the Cal tax will prefer Cal and Stanford to be added and not Oregon and UW. Will B1G leaders if they look west look more at viewership numbers or academics? Easy answer when it comes to the SEC and not so easy an answer with the B1G.

One thing for certain, I do not think Oregon will be playing UCLA in the football playoff even with a 12-team field. UCLA will not win a B1G football title or finish in the top 3 of the B1G.

Concur with Jon about UCLA/Cal, with an alternative of adding Cal and Washington due to TV "markets."  I suspect the "rival history" with Stanford could be pretty thin gruel if a choice has to be made.  Though Stanford instead would be a book-end for Northwestern as a private institution.  If UW doesn't get an invite, they'll blame Oregon.

Most recent Pac12 championship

2020 – Oregon

2018 – Washington

2017 – USC

2015 – Stanford

2006 – Cal (tied with USC)

1998 – UCLA

They remind me of those two 4’s I took home on a dare. It looked real good to them,

until they saw the two black Labrador’s, the midget, and the guy holding the camera.

Paraphrased, and plagiarized but none the less.