Charles Fischer

More Clues About Lanning's Recruiting Culture/Process/Style

In an article from 247 Sports, we hear more about the impressions a player and his father have after their visit to Oregon last weekend...

Elijah Rushing, is the No. 1 ranked Edge rusher in the nation and consensus 5-Star...and who might have the most appropriate name ever for a football player. 

“It was another great visit,” Rushing’s father, George, told 247Sports.Their ability to prepare their players and development was another big selling point again. It was a solid trip, obviously they have all the bells and whistles as far as facilities and technology, but it was really good to get more personal time with everyone there."

“I’m from the South, so coach Lanning reminds me of the coaches I grew up knowing. There’s a Southern feel, he’s very welcoming and just seemed like a genuine straight shooter. He’s a real person and there’s no fluff.”

“One of the big things we discussed was making it a powerful room,” George Rushing said. “For coach Lanning it’s going to be about bringing waves of guys to get after the quarterback, similar to places like Alabama and Georgia where they don’t let up. It’s not just about the first group there or about the big pass rusher, it’s a total effort from the second and third unit, just bringing constant pressure and not letting up."

"They believe Elijah can be a huge part of that. They did an outstanding job.”

24 AZ DE - Elijah Rushing (Verbal Offer) | ScarletBuckeye.com - Ohio State  Forums

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 3

Mr. FishDuck

While this was posted in a recruiting thread....the list of recruits visiting this next weekend is crazy!  Three 5-Star players?  Look at the list in that article, and know that our new QB verbal Michael Van Buren will be another recruiter for the Ducks on this big weekend.  Good gosh, the number of highly ranked players visiting exceeds that of Cristobal, as these are heady times for Oregon!

YARN | It's not Hedy. It's Hedley. Hedley Lamarr. | Blazing Saddles (1974)  | Video clips by quotes | fea16ceb | 紗

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

A trio of 5-stars and over a dozen 4-stars all expected in Eugene this week. The latest updated list of Oregon Duck visitors.

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

This kind of recruiting is what Lanning has to do, and over a period of several years, to build the kind of roster that will have the staying power of a truly elite program. It is extremely important to layer talent across all position groups to ensure the depth necessary to win championships.

Dan Lanning was well schooled in roster building during his years at Georgia and I expected nothing less than this kind of aspirational recruiting when he became a Duck. This is one of the major reasons that I came on this blog soon after Lanning's hire to say that you rabid Duck fans are going to love this guy. Enjoy the process.

• Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 2

On 6/22/2023 at 10:14 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

This kind of recruiting is what Lanning has to do, and over a period of several years, to build the kind of roster that will have the staying power of a truly elite program. It is extremely important to layer talent across all position groups to ensure the depth necessary to win championships.

Dan Lanning was well schooled in roster building during his years at Georgia and I expected nothing less than this kind of aspirational recruiting when he became a Duck. This is one of the major reasons that I came on this blog soon after Lanning's hire to say that you rabid Duck fans are going to love this guy. Enjoy the process.

Depth, mentoring and high competition is the difference maker between the elite, and those who just aspire to be great. Oregon has had some good mentoring, competition, and innovation, but the lack of depth has always been our Achilles heal. Lanning seems to be building up the depth, elite depth. Interesting times, indeed. 

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2