Jon Joseph

The ACC and the SEC Stay at 8 Conference Games. The B1G, B12 and "Remnants of the Pac-12" Play 9

I ordinarily do not allow what passes for journalism these days to get under my skin. But this guy referring to the Pac-10 as 'remnants of the Pac-12' frankly ticks me off. 

Oregon, Utah, and UW are remnants? Ohio State just paid one of the remnants $500,000.00 to buy its way out of a potential loss in Seattle. I expect UW will win at Michigan State this season but with the game being broadcast on Peacock, with its 20 million subscribers who exactly will be watching this game in E. Lansing? Two of these remnants made the college football playoff. Three of the mighty B1G have made the playoff field. Michigan, 0-2, Michigan State, doors blown off by Alabama and Ohio State, one title and otherwise mixed results including a 30+ shutout loss at the hands of Clemson. Last time one of the remnants played in Columbus, Oregon flew home with a victory.

Rutgers, Maryland, today's Nebraska, Purdue, Indiana, Minnesota, Iowa (the last trip to the Rose Bowl was a blowout loss to a lower-ranked Stanford team,) Wisconsin, last seen losing to another remnant, Washington State, Illinois, and even Michigan State are terrific football programs? At the close of the 2022 season four remnants, the three Pac-10 schools noted above and Oregon State were ranked by the playoff committee. Three B1G teams were ranked, playoff losers Ohio State and Michigan, and Penn State. Coming to the B1G USC was also ranked and lost to G5 Tulane while UCLA gave up a late lead in its bowl game and lost to Pitt.

Let's take a deeper dive into the new B1G media deal that took nine months to come together with each B1G team to receive $70M, Oops!, that's $65M a year. Nine months with Fox owning 61% of the B1G Network. $65M with Fox and a lying B1G commissioner swooping in the steal the LA schools. Ask yourself what the value of the B1G deal would be without the LA schools and without bringing SEC-disenfranchised CBS and NBC/Peacock into the mix. Without the LA schools, the B1G deal comes in at approximately $35M to $45M for each member school per annum. This was the bottom line reason for Fox to purloin the LA schools. The other was the desire of Fox to elbow ESPN out of the B1G. Payback for ESPN and the SEC swiping Oklahoma and Texas. 

To get NBC on board the lying B1G commissioner, Kevin Warren, promised NBC the broadcast rights to the B1G football championship game. Oops! Kevin had no right to do so. And among other B1G members, the LA schools were not informed that a number of their home games will be streamed on Peacock. Not a lot better than being shown on Larry's Loser Network. The UW at Michigan State game will also be shown on Peacock and Peacock has moved one Michigan State home game from E. Lansing to Detroit. 

Under the new B1G scheduling agreement, Penn State has no permanent opponents. One of UCLA's permanent opponents is a Michigan team that UCLA has rarely defeated over the decades. The closest B1G school travel-wise to the LA schools in Nebraska. Nebraska is not a permanent opponent for either of the LA schools. The scheduling juice UCLA and USC had in the Pac-12, see the Cali football scheduling agreement, has been poured out of the B1G glass. USC is no longer the B1G kid on the block. UCLA is going B1G only because of USC and the basketball brand, It's one thing for a football team to have to travel two+ time zones to play conference away games and quite another for a basketball team, let alone the non-revenue sports to do so. And instead of traveling to Las Vegas for the conference football championship game and for the conference basketball tournament, UCLA and USC fans will have to travel to Indianapolis and Chicago. 

To date, I am not a fan of George Kliavkoff. But the man is negotiating a new media deal with among other broadcast entities, a tech company that has never streamed college sporting events. Doing so after losing his biggest market and being asleep at the switch when the B12 jumped ahead in the media negotiations line. Despite all of the sound and fury, I am not ready to shovel dirt on the remnants. Do a deal with Apple or Amazon and move up to the head of the streaming line and who knows, the remnants could end up with a better deal in the long run.

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The SEC did a good job achieving balance with its 2024 schedule -- and it's a model the Big Ten can easily adopt in the future.

Meanwhile how about planting a B1G hickey on Mr. Hickey, the author of this brilliant piece?

• Applause 3
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have seen nothing to verify this but I have seen a number of reports that say the new B1G media deal is now down to $60M a school per annum. This with a $20M to $30M bump from the addition of the LA schools and 1 football playoff title, no CBB titles since 2000, and no baseball, golf, track and field, etc., championships may mean that we are down to a Power 1. 

The B1G has it all over the SEC in terms of market size but it is the SEC pulling down the big money. Looking at the on-field results the B1G is big in name only. 3 football playoff teams to date compared to the 12-team Pac with 2 and an annual flameout by teams in the CBB tournament.  

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 6/22/2023 at 8:51 AM, Jon Joseph said:

To date, I am not a fan of George Kliavkoff.

I'm not fully sold on him but I also know none of us know the full extent of the mess that Larry left behind. I imagine it was a whole lot worse than what it known publicly. 

Jon you will probably have quite a bit to say and add to my article coming out on Tuesday next week. 

I do agree that the notion that the PAC are just remnants is very insulting. I do feel though that those in any time zone other than PST (media people and those who haven't been to the Pacific time zone) do believe all that is out here is Hollywood and LA. 

I think if we get a decent media deal Oregon is going to pull this conference up a notch. 

• Applause 1

Remnants indeed! What a moronic post.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hope I don't get flagged for the above post of mine. Sorry Charles.

• Haha 1

On 6/23/2023 at 10:18 PM, Nevada Dawg said:

Remnants indeed! What a moronic post.

No sweat.  We can say anything about any writer, unless it is a FishDuck writer, of course.

Thanks for the concern for our conference and this site.

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 6/24/2023 at 1:19 AM, Nevada Dawg said:

Hope I don't get flagged for the above post of mine. Sorry Charles.

I'm not cretin that the man is a moron but he stops counting at 20 when he runs out of fingers and toes. Why would anyone allow 'remnants' to compete against Rutgers, Maryland, Northwestern, Indiana, Minnesota, and Purdue?

One thing I do know for cretin, he isn't as Smart as Kirby. Thanks for the Big Dawg support.  

B1G 2023 SOS rankings. "There are no easy games in the B1G." Come on Man! Money does not equal on-field success but the B1G hype never goes away. The SEC deserves and has earned the pub. The B1G?

WWW.CBSSPORTS.COM

There aren't many easy games in the Big Ten, but some schedules are more difficult than others