Jon Joseph

12 Out of Conference Games Ducks Wire Would Like to See

'Most conferences play 9 conference games?' 3 do and 2 do not and no team which played 9 conference games has won a playoff title. We now have the data to pretty convincingly state that this is not a coincidence. 

My, FWIW, thoughts on the potential match-ups. A general comment is that most out-of-conference dance cards are filled for the next 7 years to a decade.

Alabama - The Tide coming west of SEC country for an OOC game happens about as often as Haley's Comet showing up.

Miami - The Mario match-up will be of interest for a few more seasons but it is Clemson and FSU that move the ACC viewer needle. 

Michigan - Has a permanent scheduling opponent in UCLA and like Ohio State I expect Michigan does not want to book more West Coast travel.

Penn State - A White Out with a return game would be great. 

Oklahoma - Would have been nice to play the Sooners sooner in 2022. 

Tennessee, Texas, A+M, Ole Miss - Maybe I'm a masochist but I'd love a home-and-home match-up with the Dawgs, and the same for Auburn which twice has escaped Puddles by the skin of its teeth. 

I don't know if I'll be around to see it but Michigan State and Ohio State are on future dance cards. And I'd like to see the addition of Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa. Solid Central time zone B1G opponents.

And the dust has to settle but home and home series with UCLA and USC would be intense match-ups.

Meanwhile, defeat a solid Texas Tech squad in September.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon’s non-conference scheduling is respectable, with games against Ohio State, Auburn, and LSU on the record. Here’s who...

Edited by Jon Joseph
  • Mic drop 1

Surprised ND wasn't on the list. If you want exposure, playing ND gives you that. A team which is almost always a preseason top 10 pick, whether deserving or not.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 7/9/2023 at 10:40 AM, Haywarduck said:

Surprised ND wasn't on the list. If you want exposure, playing ND gives you that. A team which is almost always a preseason top 10 pick, whether deserving or not.

Great observation H and ND, IMO, should have been included. But ND already plays in CA every season and I doubt that the Domers want to take on both Troy and Puddles; especially, when considering Stanford (!) defeated ND in South Bend last season. But it would be a CFB fan viewer's must-watch game. And with the LA schools leaving eyeballs on OOC games could matter for at-large and seeding spots come the expanded playoff in 2024.

Jon, I nearly died choking while chuckling about the Bama-Haley's comet reference while eating a hand-held  burrito. Georgia hasn't been out  west lately either for an OOC but have one coming up soon with UCLA. In a similar article  on Dawgs fans requests for new OOC games, Oregon and Washington are always on the  list, and many would also like to find out what a Riley USC team and Utah are all about. 

• Thumbs Up 1

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

When it comes to Power-5 conferences, the Pac-12 ranks near the bottom. In order for that perception to change, Pac-12 teams are...