Pennsylvania Duck

On a Team Full of Stars, Ducks Have Underrated Players Too

As we prepare for the upcoming college football season, much of our conversations as Ducks fans revolve around the stars: Bo Nix, Bucky Irving, Troy Franklin, and more.

We also discuss coaches plenty, as they are heavy on the recruiting trail, searching for players in the class of 2024.

Today, I looked at 10 of the most important players on the 2023 Oregon Ducks that we at Ducks Wire don’t talk about as much. These are players you likely are aware of, and some you’ll know well.

Regardless of their skill level, I believe that every player on this list has had one aspect of their game underestimated or undervalued.

For some players, they were underrated in the recruiting process. For some they are undervalued by Ducks fans and college football fans alike, and sometimes perhaps by their own coaches.

Regardless of the reason, all of these players deserve a little bit more of each conversation about Ducks football devoted to them.

Which players on this list (or not on this list) do you think will show their worth?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon football has its share of stars, but it also has some “glue guys” that keep it all together and that value can be underrated.

• Thumbs Up 2

Two guys were brought in by Lanning to fix the defense in the short term. Burch and Jacobs have the ability to make the Oregon defense more Georgia like. They may not be underrated, but I think they underperformed at their previous stops. Much like Bo Nix these two guys will rise up at Oregon and realize their potential. Lanning is counting on it!

At receiver it will be a battle through fall camp. I wouldn't count out Jurrion, and I have a feeling somebody is going to become an all-time best Oregon receiver out of the new guys coming in. The question is who can be as good or better than Franklin? If somebody is as good or better, Franklin will become a bigger weapon, and the offense will be lights out. 

I do like Charles statement about greatness emerging early, and sometimes players look like men playing with boys. I wonder if Jurrion will be that guy.  If I remember correctly Royce came to Oregon and by the second game made a 1,000 yd rusher into a receiver. He then went on to rush for over 1,000 yds as a freshman. Will Jurrion be the same kind of talent? I doubt he effects Franklin's playing time, but he might impact others.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

I dont think any of the players mentioned are underrated. Not to fans of the team.

I have high expectations for most on the list. TT is rated, in my mind anyway, about right. Meh.

Hill moving to LB is going to be fun to watch. Hill has the speed to get to the edge and creat short yardage stops. 

I was watching the Bowl game again the other night, and Marcus Harper was making some GREAT blocks both inside, and smashing DEs on the edge when he pulled.  He filled in for when Steven Jones got hurt, and now has turned into more than just a potential starter, as he was at guard most of last season, but can now also play center.

With all the transfers--he might be the overlooked candidate to start?

I love my offensive linemen...

Marcus Harper II making most of his opportunity, emerging as standout  pass-blocker for Oregon - On3

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck