Pennsylvania Duck

Dan Lanning’s Fingerprints Are All Over the 2023 Oregon Team

Oregon had a coaching change most Power Five programs are not used to. Mario Cristobal left in favor of another Power Five school, heading back to his hometown of Miami to rebuild the Hurricanes.

This led the Ducks to hire Dan Lanning away from Georgia after winning a national championship as the defensive coordinator.

When Lanning arrived on campus, a total rebuild was not needed. Cristobal had success on the field and when recruiting.

Had he not left for Miami, most would expect Oregon to still be on an upward trajectory and potentially competing on a national stage.

Even so, a complete roster overhaul has taken place. Lanning has done a majority of his work in the NCAA transfer portal, adding instant additions for 2022 and hoping for the same this upcoming fall.

“If I was putting a number on it, I would say it’s 85% Dan Lanning’s team,” Hopkins said. “I think that’s just been his aggressiveness in turning over the roster and really going after guys that fit what he needs.”

WWW.ON3.COM

Heading into Year Two with the Oregon Ducks, the fingerprints of head coach Dan Lanning are certainly on the roster.

Lanning is working on his 3rd recruiting class. Between these classes and the portal this is 100% DL's team.

There are some left over from MC. But they weren't under MC long enough to be ruined by his narcissistic coaching style.

BTW, to state Oregon could be a national contender under Mariø is embarrassing. Clearly On3 wasn't paying attention. Educated Duck fans saw clearly the Ducks were slippin.

This is Lannings team and Mariø gets no credit in my mind. I made the point at the end of last season. 

It is not surprising Lanning fliped this team into "his" so quickly. That is what Lanning does.  The last 20ish months have mirrored Lanning career. So its no surprise.

GO DUCKS!!

• Thumbs Up 3

Thanks for posting this article P Duck. Always refreshing to read an article with a  positive outlook about DL and the Ducks.

Two comments caught my attention and got me to pondering.

First, the comment about if Mario had not left for Miami most would expect Oregon to still be on a upward trajectory and potentially competing on the national stage.

Perhaps but I am not so sure. MC would still be recruiting at a very high level. But MC's in game coaching skills were lacking. The offense was throttled down. Thats not a recipe for competing on a national stage. To me, the Ducks would not reach the pinnacle under MC.

Second, DL worked under Sabin and Smart and wants to compete with the big boys. Once DL walked off the field with a Natty as a DC, I feel confident that he wants one or more as a HC.

It will take a few back to back to back top 5 or 6 recruiting classes and continued portal moves for the Ducks to reach the pinnacle.

The future is strong with DL in charge. This young man has the coaching recipe and recruiting chops to reach the pinnacle.

On 7/15/2023 at 7:30 AM, Log Haulin said:

BTW, to state Oregon could be a national contender under Mariø is embarrassing. Clearly On3 wasn't paying attention. Educated Duck fans saw clearly the Ducks were slipping.

Completely correct.  If Mario has stayed--I believe we would have seen most to the receivers transfer out, and a ton of the rest of the team.  It was a bad vibe, and would have been an "endure" type of off-season for the fans.

Compared to where the team would have been under Cristobal in 2022, (5-7) versus what it was under Lanning, (10 wins) it is quite the difference in my estimation.  How many wins did Miami have?

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/15/2023 at 7:30 AM, Log Haulin said:

This is Lannings team and Mariø gets no credit in my mind.

Now I gotta politely disagree.  The players below are from before Lanning, and NOT having them would make quite the difference.  It will be primarily Lanning's team in 2024....

Offense

Steven Jones

Terrance Ferguson

Jackson Powers-Johnson

Marcus Harper

Troy Franklin

Kris Hutson

Defense

Trikwese Bridges

Dontae Manning

Bryan Addison

Jamal Hill

Jeffrey Bassa

Mase Funa

Brandon Dorlus

Popo Aumavae

Most of those above will be starters, and all will be playing extensively.  I think saying that it is 85% Lanning's is a stretch, but without both Lanning's additions and core that was here--we could not contend for a Playoff spot as I believe we will.

Great Defense2_Eugene Johnson.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Like 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 7/15/2023 at 9:27 AM, Charles Fischer said:

Now I gotta politely disagree.  The players below are from before Lanning, and NOT having them would make quite the difference.  It will be primarily Lanning's team in 2024....

Offense

Steven Jones

Terrance Ferguson

Jackson Powers-Johnson

Marcus Harper

Troy Franklin

Kris Hutson

Defense

Trikwese Bridges

Dontae Manning

Bryan Addison

Jamal Hill

Jeffrey Bassa

Mase Funa

Brandon Dorlus

Popo Aumavae

Most of those will be starters, and all will be playing extensively.  I think saying that it is 85% Lanning's is a stretch, but without both Lanning's additions and core that was here--we could not contend for a Playoff spot as I believe we will.

Great Defense2_Eugene Johnson.jpg

Mariø gets no credit 😁

images.jpeg

• Haha 2