cartm25

Oregon Extends Contract With Dan Lanning Through 2028

• Applause 5
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 3

Report: Dan Lanning receives contract extension through 2028 season

The Oregon Ducks don’t plan on letting head coach Dan Lanning go anywhere soon, it appears.

According to a report from John Canzano, the second-year head coach received a contract extension from the Ducks on Tuesday, tieing him to the team through the 2028 season.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Dan Lanning isn’t leaving Eugene any time soon, it appears. The Ducks have extended his contract through the 2028 season.

Canzano: Oregon Ducks extend Dan Lanning's contract

New deal runs through 2028.

So glad this happened.  The right move by Mullins!

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

New deal runs through 2028.

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍!

• Thumbs Up 1

I like Lanning a lot but this seems early to me.  Last season was pretty good, but losing to both hated rivals on questionable game calls doesn't seem to warrant a raise and extension.  Yet.  I really hope he continues to grow and improve.

On 7/25/2023 at 9:25 PM, Cacker Guy said:

I like Lanning a lot but this seems early to me.  Last season was pretty good, but losing to both hated rivals on questionable game calls doesn't seem to warrant a raise and extension.  Yet.  I really hope he continues to grow and improve.

It is a bit early in my opinion, but I should note that first year coaches typically have a brain fricken--t or two that cost them games. Kirby Smart had 2-3 his first year that were very costly. But he has managed pretty well since then and so will Lanning.

Sometimes early extensions also have the effect of convincing recruits who like the Head Coach that he is likely to be around throughout their tenure should the commit to the program. In this sense, the extension is a strategic move that can later be undone should disaster strike for some reason which I don't foresee with a salt-of-the-earth guy like Lanning.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 3

I absolutely agree with @Nevada Dawgthis is a good move.  It’s early but if things go wrong Oregon can back out with some dollars lost.  On the other hand, it looks positive, and this announces positivity to players, recruits, boosters, and all concerned!  It’s a move of confidence and it could very well encourage confidence.  I think it to be a great move bc I honestly have great confidence in CDL.  Sure it’s possible that things go sideways, but that’s a chance you take with any young coach.  

I firmly agree with this move.  It says this is the guy and we are keeping him bc he is our guy!!!  Stability is understated in college football, but it does play a part.  I honestly believe that Lanning will be a very successful college coach.  I hope the Ducks do whatever is necessary to keep him so long as he continues to build what we want!

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Like 1

Dan has infectious energy that will resonate thru his assistants, the players, the boosters, and us fans. Agree that things can always go sideways but at this time I think it’s a great move by the university and and the powers that be.

Go🦆🦆🦆s

• Thumbs Up 1

Seems like a good business decision to extend his contract before expected success. The problem I see is he may have that success and then be up for a raise based on the success. Are we satisfied with a top 15 program, the rumored salary position Lanning's contract puts him at?

The other thing that can happen is not meeting expectations and then the extension just seems ok, or maybe even too much.

I would think the savvy thing to do is to reward success when there is a trend after season two. You then reinforce the outcome you want, and everyone is clear on expectations. 

I do agree with the article the buyout is a critical component. I would hope Mullins has learned a lesson on that one, and the buyout is extremely high, as committing to a coach is a two way street. The coach has to be willing to commit to the length of the contract too, or be willing to compensate the program.

I look at this as a nice way to say we are behind Lanning, but it just seems premature. Mullens gave Helfrich a 5 year extension after a couple years of success based on what he inherited. We really didn't know how he was going to do on his own. We now see Mullens giving Lanning a longterm extension after one season. 

Do we really have a better understanding how Lanning is going to do as compared to Helfrich when he got his extension?

I'm all in on Lanning, don't get me wrong, it just seems early to be giving an extension. I could see bumping his salary up to reflect the success he had this past season, a top 15 salary. That is respect, something everyone should have. I could also see promising to extend the contract after the season, with an agreement to review it every two years. That creates a longterm system for managing Lanning's contract.

The only really sound reason for this contract extension is if Lanning said he wasn't comfortable with the length. If he wanted a longer commitment then you might take the gamble, as almost all indicators are exceptional. I just would have waited, bumped his salary now, and tied him up after more data. What did we really get with this extension? Seems like the same thing Mullen did with Helfrich, too soon.

• Great post! 1
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Buyouts are a two way street.  If the school has a high buyout for him leaving with him making the decision, he expects the same in return from the school.  I wouldn't have given him a 1-year extension this year, but I also don't mind it either.

I think the raise and the extension were due to what Mullens has seen so far and also to today's marketplace where Rob knows that DL is on the radar of more than a few schools that can come with mucho dinero. We already know that DL fits the recruiting from high school and from the portal equation. 

And agents are going to agent. 

What I was concerned about is this is Mullens standard process. He hasn't learned much, other than when Cristobal demanded a larger buyout. A bigger buyout may be standard procedure now, but the early extension is just how he rolls.

This would be like Lanning trying to run Nix at the goal line between tackles with an empty backfield. If we see Lanning repeat some of his mistakes we should be concerned.

What I would like to see is Mullens competing against what is making Georgia so successful. I would imagine Lanning would appreciate this even more than a bump in pay and an extension. There is only so much money you can spend, but the time a competent and complete staff gives you is priceless. Also this is what helps a program get better, not just paying the head coach more money.

WWW.USATODAY.COM

The defending national champion Georgia Bulldogs put the explosive growth of college football support staffs on display.

Contract details emerge for Dan Lanning's extension with Oregon Ducks

On Tuesday evening, it was reported by columnist John Canzano that the Oregon Ducks had signed head coach Dan Lanning to a contract extension that would keep him with the team through the 2028 season while also making him one of the 15-20 highest-paid coaches in the world of college football.

Now we have more clarification on what the numbers behind the contract actually are.

According to The Oregonian’s James Crepea, Lanning’s extension has brought his yearly salary from $4.7 million to $7 million, increasing by $200,000 each year through 2028.

Lanning’s original contract with the Ducks, which was approved back in December of 2021, was for six years, $29.1 million making him the fifth-highest-paid coach in the Pac-12 conference. He earned $4.6 million in salary last season, plus $100,000 for winning nine regular season games and $100,000 for appearing in the Holiday Bowl.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Contract details emerge for Dan Lanning’s extension with Oregon Ducks

Rob Mullens and Dan Lanning offer comment on contract extension

Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens and head football coach Dan Lanning each offered comments on the new contract extension the school and Lanning agreed to on Thursday.

Mullens: "Coach Lanning and his family love being a part of this community," he said. "Obviously, they’ve put down roots, and they’ve engaged at a level we haven’t seen since probably the Brooks/Bellotti era. So, it’s something that is extremely important to our community, and Dan, Sauphia and their kids have made that kind of commitment. It shows that this is a two-way commitment, which is important to us."

Lanning: "In coaching, you dream to be at a place where you can both raise your family and win at a high level," said Lanning in the statement. "Oregon has more than exceeded those expectations for my wife, Sauphia, and our three boys, and this will ensure our boys can all graduate from the same school as we continue to grow roots in the community.

I am thrilled to be a part of a program that has a shared vision for how to stay on the cutting edge and achieve great success moving forward, and I am grateful to Phil and Penny Knight, Rob Mullens and President Scholz for their faith and unwavering support of our program.

Our relentless pursuit of excellence for the Oregon football program will continue to include an innovative and aggressive approach to student-athlete support, world-class facilities, and all program dynamics as we push forward, and I look forward to all of the great days on the horizon for our student-athletes and Duck fans."

The deal was also "supported by philanthropy", Mullens stated, acknowledging that the school's donors had footed the bill in this case.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon athletic director Rob Mullens and head football coach Dan Lanning each offered comments on the new contract extension...

SATURDAYBLITZ.COM

It's the offseason so that just means that college football critics and self-proclaimed experts come from all corners of the map to give...

People have paid big money to blue sky hopefuls for as long as I can remember in all sports. Once in a while you hit the jackpot but more often it’s a failure. From what I’ve seen so far he deserves the risk. Except for a couple bonehead plays last year he is 11 and 1 and possibly headed to the final four. 

With the kind of energy he brings to the program in Eugene how can we not make this investment. Hopefully he can take us to the promised land and get us in the show at least one more time.

Definitely a risk worth taking.