Annie

Pac 12 Schools Have to Be Nervous About Future

WWW.USATODAY.COM

The truth of the Pac-12’s journey to a new media rights deal is that negotiations were never going well and the contract was always...

IMHO, that is a "blah-blah" article that reviews the points we already know.  Taking shots at streaming? We don't even know what the Tier Two rights are, and we WILL have games on linear TV as the streamer sells Tier Two rights for TV.

Please everyone...before you make a judgment, get upset, panicked...

giphy.gif

And we don't have them yet.

Mr. FishDuck

Hind sight is always 20-20. 

When OK & UT announced they were joining the SEC (or rather it was leaked) George K had only been on the job for a few weeks. 

He had not had time to feel out Pac12 leadership for expansion thoughts, and no one but USC knew about their plans to bolt.

The Pac12 seemed destined for remaining strong. So holding back and waiting was not necessarily a bad idea.

Expansion was difficult because the main thinking was still academics first.

Also, the political climate could make things difficult to add religious based schools such as BYU, Baylor, TCU and others. Rushing into expansion seemed too risky. 

Now, we wish we had done so.

I can't believe Fox or ESPN will risk losing the west coast. But, they do seem to have the leverage. 

I also believe that any future expansion has to be included for a media deal to bid on. If San Diego or Dallas are to be included, this can only help the bottom line.

We are 1 month away from real football. I sure hope we can hang on and stay together until then.

Remember that the article says talks are only in preliminary stages...

Sources: Big Ten has begun preliminary talks to potentially add Oregon, Washington, Cal and Stanford

The Big Ten has begun exploratory discussions about expanding membership to 18 or even 20 teams, industry sources have told Yahoo Sports.

The schools being considered are Oregon and Washington if the league adds two schools, and Cal and Stanford if it wants to move to 20. All four institutions are currently members of the Pac-12.

The discussions are in the very early stages, sources caution. No decision, including on whether to expand or stay put at 16 teams, has been made or is considered imminent.

The Big Ten may also patiently wait to see what happens with other Pac-12 schools and their potential move to the Big 12 before acting at all.

However, ballooning the league to as many 20 teams by adding a six-team West Coast flank — including 2024 arrivals USC and UCLA — is a real possibility. This is especially true if the Pac-12, which dates back to 1915, falls apart in the near future.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

The Big Ten has been reluctant to move to 20 teams, even if many in college athletics believe expansive superconferences are...

I don’t really understand the love affair with Cal and Furd. An academic feather in the cap sure but neither school really cares about sports and have lack luster fan bases because of that.

This really squanders the Bay Area media market which is a part of the problem the Pac has with getting a good media deal.

Seems like a waste of precious final slots to me.

On 8/2/2023 at 11:59 AM, The Kamikaze Kid said:

I don’t really understand the love affair with Cal and Furd. An academic feather in the cap sure but neither school really cares about sports and have lack luster fan bases because of that.

This really squanders the Bay Area media market which is a part of the problem the Pac has with getting a good media deal.

Seems like a waste of precious final slots to me.

I believe Cal has more 'Nattys in all sports than we do, and the 'Furd trade places annually with UCLA for the most 'Nattys in all sports.  Their Olympic sports adds cache' to any conference...

• Thumbs Up 1

Mr. FishDuck

Jon Gold: Pac-12 doesn't deserve another bite at the Apple, and now some of its teams might not get one, either

I was driving this morning and saw not one but two DirecTV trucks and not one but two signs for junk removal, and I couldn’t help but think about the Pac-12 and Larry Scott and George Kliavkoff.

All day Tuesday, in the wake of the news that Kliavkoff had reportedly presented Pac-12 powers that be with an insufficient media rights deal focused on a streaming partnership with Apple, I was thinking of apple adages. I couldn’t help myself.

Like “an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but it sure won’t keep the Big 12 at bay.”

Like “an apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, and that’s good, because Stanford will be one of just a few teams remaining when all is said and done.”

And, of course, a rotten apple spoils the bunch.

SATURDAYOUTWEST.COM

Many miscalculations have landed the Pac-12 in a position from which it will never recover. What kind of miracle can George...

TV sources assess Pac-12 media proposal as 'Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic'

As Arizona President Robert Robbins assesses the Pac-12 Conference’s media rights proposal – which primarily entails a majority streaming deal with Apple TV+ – two key questions will need to be addressed:

How substantially would a heavy streaming deal cut into the visibility and exposure of the Pac-12’s brand? Long-entrenched Pac-12 fans are still tethered to linear TV networks, which offer broader reach and incessant promotion of league inventory.

Plus, what level of risk would schools be assuming by entering into a pact with subscription-based financial incentives? ESPN’s Pete Thamel reported that element was central to the proposal that Pac-12 Commissioner George Kliavkoff unveiled to members Tuesday.

“If the Pac-12 had a better linear [network] offer – in terms of cash and distribution – they would not be considering Apple,” Neal Pilson, the former longtime CBS Sports president, told On3 on Wednesday. “Half the remaining Pac-12 schools will probably move to the Big Ten and the Big 12, which means the end of the Pac-12. So, we are talking about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.”

Uncertainty continues to mount, especially in light of Yahoo! Sports’ Dan Wetzel’s report that Big Ten presidents have begun discussions surrounding the possible addition of Oregon and Washington. The conference is not trying to appear predatory but is doing due diligence. The Big Ten could add Stanford and Cal if the Pac-12 fully collapses.

It’s becoming increasingly clear Kliavkoff’s chances of pulling together the Pac-9 is weakening.

WWW.ON3.COM

In a proposed rights deal with Apple TV+, TV sources pinpoint concerns about Pac-12 visibility and risk with a subscription...