DrJacksPlaidPants

RIP Herman Ho-Ching

This is terrible news. I heard rumors last night on X, but now  The Oregonian has reported it. He apparently drowned in the Clackamas River. 

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Herman Ryan Hoching jumped from a cement water intake structure in the middle of the...

Pretty weird. I live across the river from the park and I never heard any sirens or commotion Sunday and I was home all day. Lots of people cooling off.

Oh, no! 😢 RIP, Herman.

As I remember, when he joined the Ducks he was only 16  years old. 💚

Poor Herman!  Waaaay too young!  Condolences….to him…..and his family.  

• Like 1

That video above is so cool from 1998...Herman had power, and the moves.  He stepped in to save us when Reuben Droughns got hurt early in that game.

Boy could Oregon run screen passes well back then!

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

He and I stayed in the same dorm back when I was a freshman.  Weird to think of him suddenly being gone...

Canzano: Life and death of Herman Ho-Ching is a tough tale

It was hot so Herman Ho-Ching and his family went swimming on Sunday.

The former University of Oregon running back climbed onto a concrete water-intake facility located on the bank of the Clackamas River and jumped into the water below.

He surfaced.

Then, climbed up and did it again.

Ho-Ching died on Sunday. He was 44. Those familiar with that part of the river tell me it’s fairly deep in that spot. They’d be surprised if he hit anything. Also, Clackamas County Sheriff’s deputies reported the water temperature was “cool” and the current “mild” but none of that will bring a loving father and husband back.

A spokesperson for the Clackamas County Sheriff’s department said Ho-Ching jumped several times from a spot on the concrete structure.

When he didn’t surface after the final jump and nobody could locate him, someone dialed 911.

Marine rescue rushed to the scene.

Fire agencies responded.

This is a good article, with interviews from Mike Bellotti, his high school coach, and teammates.

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Former Oregon football player died on Sunday.

On 8/15/2023 at 8:02 AM, Annie said:

As I remember, when he joined the Ducks he was only 16  years old.

Herman lived a few doors down from me in the athlete's floor at the University Inn dorm (I think it's called Barnhart Hall now). That was in the fall of 1998. I saw on the news article that Herman was 44 when he died. Far too young. So, he was actually a bit old for a freshman- he would have been 19 and born in 1979. I'm 43, and I don't turn 44 until January. 

Herman was a bit of an intimidating guy. He was pretty big, and did not talk too much. He used to show some of us his highlights from high school on VHS in his room. His door was often open, and he would lie down in the middle of the hallway with his long hair spread out, drying after he showered. I don't think his hair went down to his waist, but it was very long. 

I always felt a little bad for him because he didn't seem happy- but who am I to know exactly what was going on. He fumbled the ball *a lot*, I'm not sure if you folks remember, and people/fans kind of gave him a hard time. He also had really high expectations, so that did not help. I was very surprised, and very heartened to read that he was living in Oregon in his final days. I always assumed he may have thought we abandoned him. Clearly, I was wrong. Rest in peace Herman.

• Like 1