Pennsylvania Duck

With Uncertainty of Pac-12, College Football Playoff Format Set for Another Shakeup

On Aug. 30 in Dallas, leaders of the College Football Playoff were scheduled to finalize minutiae of the expanded postseason format set to begin in 2024.

Items on the agenda included things like ticket distribution, team lodging and other important but tedious matters around the first-round games on campus.

Now, after another realignment wave shook the college sports landscape, the meeting is expected to take a different tone.

The CFP’s governance structure, revenue distribution model and, most notably, playoff format are all up for re-examination after last week’s realignment shift, several college leaders say.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

While many commissioners expect and understand that more changes are coming to the CFP structure, some are against...

There is also this idea...

Maybe one of the few things soccer has gotten right ever. I give you the Promotion/Relegation model

CollegeFootballPlayoff.thumb.jpg.0b3b69472f40297b4c75069151fe96ff.jpg

Relegation would be an awesome idea for football, but because it is all about the money, it won't ever happen.

Need a unanimous vote to change the current 2024 format. Does the Pac-4 still have a vote?

In 2024, I see 5 and not 6 conference champ automatic qualifiers, 7 and not 6 at-large teams, and perhaps the top 4 ranked teams getting the 1st round bye as it should be IMO. If this doesn't happen in 2024/25 it will happen in 2026.

2026? The B1G and the SEC will define the playoff format and the distribution of the money.  With a Power 2 do you need a playoff other than the top 4 B1G schools playing the top 4 SEC schools? Especially if Notre Dame and UNC are in the B1G and Clemson, FSU, Miami, and NC State are in the SEC. If need be in order to keep the pols off of the back, have a 12-team field and throw a spot to the B12 champ and the best G5 team. 

OBDF Members can you imagine how we would feel, as Duck fans, if OBD's were on the outside looking in.

We would be distraught...... 

But alas, this is not a fractured fairy tale with a bad ending!

WE have a seat at the table because in 12 months we will be in the BIG Conference. Our brethren our some of the biggest boys on the block.  ..

For me there is no sense looking back, crying and fretting over spilt milk and monunental bad decisions.

Its all about the future. My focus is on 2023. This season is an audition for the northeast and upper midwest fans. If we cant climb over the PAC 12 and win a title then DL and staff will have to nail back to back to back Top 10 recruiting classes to climb over the BIG bluebloods.

I believe DL and staff can get it done.   ...

GO BIG DUCKS!

• Applause 1