Pennsylvania Duck

Canzano: 'Good Gosh Bless Chip Kelly' -- But Do the Pac-12 Presidents Care?

Chris Hill isn’t surprised that football consumes all the oxygen in the room when it comes to expansion talk. The former University of Utah athletic director knows where the money is buried in college athletics.

That said, isn’t it time someone in the Pac-12 Conference spoke up on behalf of the 5,000 athletes who play non-revenue generating sports?

Is it even safe to do so?

“Good Gosh bless Chip Kelly,” Hill told me. “He did what was right. He made people think.”

UCLA’s football coach saw the conference splintering and wondered why football was dragging all the other campus sports along for the ride.

Kelly said: “Our sport is different than everybody else — we only play once a week, travel’s not a big deal for football, but it is a big deal in other sports.”

WWW.JOHNCANZANO.COM

Former Utah AD sounds off about realignment.

Non revenue sports are going to get figured out. Zano is right in reporting WBB was never a thought , this trian was moving to fast.

Non rev sports are an after thought that needs reconciled. It's going to be a mess for a sec. Couple years it will get figured out 

Of course, how confident is anyone here in the ncaa being competent enough? We will see.

The Chipster is just one of those guys who knows he's the smartest guy in the room on a regular basis. That's why he's never shy about sharing his opinions.

I think he's absolutely right about how things should be divvied up in the college sports world. And, we may well end up with a system like the one Chip describes. It'll just take about 5-6 years to get there, most likely.

Once again, Chip Kelly is just about 5 years ahead of everybody else in his thinking. (Man, I sure loved it when he was the Ducks' coach...)

What pays for non revenue sports? It's great these kids are getting scholarships, all while getting to participate in an activity they excel at, and make lifelong connections with. But who pays for the scholarships, uniforms, facilities, whatever travel they do have to do? Who pays for the trainers, coaches, medical supplies, training facilities?

I'm not saying they don't matter, I love the fact that they exist. But is Chip Kelly going to take a pay cut, is he going to donate some of his salary to pay for these other sports. Pay the salaries of his fellow coaches? Is he gonna give up his private travel?

It's easy to say the right things, speak up for the little guy. But Chip Kelly left Oregon for the NFL. He left to get more money, enhance his legacy, chase a dream. So he can sit in his California mansion and millions of dollars in the bank. His kids future is secure, he's made it. Now he can wax philosophically, because he'll never have to eat out of a soup can again.

On 8/18/2023 at 3:17 PM, GatOrlando said:

What pays for non revenue sports?

Precisely.  Athletic Directors have to hire winning coaches, keep them happy, and hope that football wins enough to pay for it all.

Canzano is in a fix, as I enjoyed his takes on the Pac-12 Conference and would read about Oregon State.  

As for now?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/18/2023 at 3:17 PM, GatOrlando said:

What pays for non revenue sports? It's great these kids are getting scholarships, all while getting to participate in an activity they excel at, and make lifelong connections with. But who pays for the scholarships, uniforms, facilities, whatever travel they do have to do? Who pays for the trainers, coaches, medical supplies, training facilities?

I'm not saying they don't matter, I love the fact that they exist. But is Chip Kelly going to take a pay cut, is he going to donate some of his salary to pay for these other sports. Pay the salaries of his fellow coaches? Is he gonna give up his private travel?

It's easy to say the right things, speak up for the little guy. But Chip Kelly left Oregon for the NFL. He left to get more money, enhance his legacy, chase a dream. So he can sit in his California mansion and millions of dollars in the bank. His kids future is secure, he's made it. Now he can wax philosophically, because he'll never have to eat out of a soup can again.

This is a tough pill to swallow.  Non revenue sports are subsidized, plain and simple.  I still think the drive to win, and pay college coaches better than NFL coaches gave players all the motivation to ask for their part in driving the revenue that's created by this popular sport.

While one one hand, my thought is "you wouldn't exist without football, the other hand understands how much time athletes spend in addition to school on their sport.  But without football, were really talking about only having basketball and softball for women.  

I know the WNBA wouldn't exist at all if it weren't for the NBA, and I certainly don't think Women's Soccer has much to complain about because they hardly turn a profit at the Olympics but feel they should get paid the same as the men( who make TEN TIMES THE REVENUE- that is really annoying to me because everyone knows the women's soccer league doesn't turn a profit either).

I believe one of the solutions may be the teams stay on the other side of the country until they finish their scheduled road trip for a few games (like ten days), so they can rest without all the travel. 

They're damn near pros anyway with the schedules they have, so why not ( I know most people consider them amateurs, but these players would work a forty hour week if the colleges  didn't restrict their time- and the excellent players spend that time on their own to be their best)

Edited by Mike West

On 8/18/2023 at 4:28 PM, Mike West said:

I know the WNBA wouldn't exist at all if it weren't for the NBA, and I certainly don't think Women's Soccer has much to complain about because they hardly turn a profit at the Olympics but feel they should get paid the same as the men( who make TEN TIMES THE REVENUE- that is really annoying to me because everyone knows the women's soccer league doesn't turn a profit either).

Respectfully, the premise of this argument isn’t entirely true.

A study came out a few years ago that found women’s sports and athletes would be just as profitable if they were invested in at the same rates as men’s sports. 

The author of the study was promptly fired by his university due to pressure from the NBA. 

(It’s HH on a Friday so I will cite my sources later if requested.)

Women’s sports are OWNED by mens sports and are deliberately underfunded to avoid competition.

And several independent studies found that women’s sports leagues (including the NCAA) do “creative accounting” to artificially supress profits for women.

On 8/18/2023 at 5:35 PM, Dr Hilarius said:

(It’s HH on a Friday so I will cite my sources later if requested.)

Another time, another thread...sure--I need to see that.  There are too many facts out there that dispute it, and we can address them all then.

Keep in mind...it is not just womens sports.  Mens Track & Field loses money just like Womens Track & Field, just as Baseball loses money like Softball, etc.  Now many of us here enjoy so many of the 'minor' sports and womens sports, but the majority of eyeballs are simply not there.  I know this from when FishDuck published articles on all sports years ago, and I closely tracked the readership of those sports.

And frankly....as I consider all this--what benefit is this conversation?  We can't change what is going on, and I am still going to enjoy Mens and Womens Basketball, along with Baseball and Softball.  It is the type of conversation that can turn fellow fans against each other...when we all love all Duck athletes.

GLB11661.jpg

• Applause 1

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/18/2023 at 5:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I need to see that.

On 8/18/2023 at 5:51 PM, Charles Fischer said:

what benefit is this conversation?

You answered your own question. The benefit of this conversation is to enlighten people that women’s sports and their profitability are thoroughly and easily misrepresented.

Rather than divide us, we can agree that the people who run sports leagues do not have their athletes’ best interests in mind. 

This is not a controversial opinion. Let’s just apply the same skepticism to what “they” say about women’s sports to what “they” say about OBDs. 

Here is the article explaining the WNBA salary study controversy:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2018/11/02/forbes-cuts-ties-with-sports-business-columnist-deletes-piece-about-wnba-player-salaries/

“The story I’m telling is really simple,” Berri said. “You’ve made this gesture toward the G League to pay them more money and that’s an investment, but the WNBA wants more money and you call that a cost. That, to me, is the story.”