GatOrlando

Ducks vs Huskies...... The Revenge

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon vs. Washington named among biggest ‘revenge games’ in 2023

Zachary Neel 
August 19, 2023 6:22 am

By all means, the first year for Dan Lanning as head coach of the Oregon Ducks went pretty well. He finished with a 10-3 record, a bowl game victory, and a recruiting class that ranked inside the top 10 nationally.

However, he did commit one unforgivable sin in the eyes of college football fans — he lost to both of the Ducks’ biggest rivals: Oregon State and Washington

Fortunately, Oregon will have a chance at revenge this season, facing of against Washington on October 14th, and Oregon State on November 24th.

The Week 7 game against Washington has been named one of the biggest revenge games by USA TODAY’s College Football Wire, mainly due to how last year’s game ended:

For the first time since 2017, the Ducks lost this matchup of the two powers in the Pacific Northwest. This game also featured two quarterbacks in the Heisman Trophy race that was ultimately won by another Pac-12 passer. Oregon was in the hunt for the conference title but this loss along with the one against their in-state rivals ended things. Bo Nix and the Ducks hope to get the upper hand in 2023.

Washington won this matchup last season and is looking to get a second straight victory in the series for the first time since 2017. Michael Penix Jr will be among the Heisman favorites again this year with his trio of weapons at receiver. The winner of this matchup could be one half of the Pac-12 title game or we could even see a rematch if the cards fall just right.

This game comes relatively early in the season, so both teams should likely be undefeated entering the matchup. They also both have a bye week before the game, assuring that both squads will be relatively close to full health and rested for the big showdown.

In the last year of the Pac-12 before heading off to the Big Ten, there will certainly be a lot riding on this game.

Edited by GatOrlando

Can this rivalry become a yearly primetime matchup in the B1G? Before moving to Arizona, I never knew of the history, and bad blood in this game. Being among PAC fanbases, I don't normally sense the same animosity that I grew up with , living in Florida, and later Ohio.  This could be a season ending game every year. You'll have Ohio State-Michigan, Minnesota-Wisconsin,Penn State-Michigan State,USC-UCLA, and Oregon-Washington,headlining rivalry week in the B1G. All could decide who plays the next week for the conference title.

Now people in the East will have to pay attention, primarily due to B1G title implications. In the future with an expanded playoff, the SEC and B1G champions will receive byes. That's a big nugget to chase.

Edited by GatOrlando
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 1

On 8/19/2023 at 7:01 PM, GatOrlando said:

This could be a season ending game every year.

Personally I'd prefer an out of conference game with Oregon State. It's traditional and potentially an easier game. 

But if I have to replace one tradition then replacing it with the fame against Washington will work. We've never seen to have a set week for this rivalry game. But there is true hatred between the two teams. 

On 8/19/2023 at 7:56 PM, David Marsh said:

Personally I'd prefer an out of conference game with Oregon State. It's traditional and potentially an easier game. 

But if I have to replace one tradition then replacing it with the fame against Washington will work. We've never seen to have a set week for this rivalry game. But there is true hatred between the two teams. 

Hopefully that game can continue. There is a lot of bitterness right now, perhaps time can heal it. But Oklahoma State, Texas, and BYU stopped playing their main in-state rival due to conference realignment. (Oklahoma State will cease playing Oklahoma after this year according to their coach and AD.)

If those hurt feelings stop the rivalry for a while, you could foster an annual date against your northern neighbors. If both programs win, it will become a much bigger nationally known rivalry.

As the Pac-12 comes to an end it is about who dominates at the end. It is only fitting that Oregon should win out and walk away with the Pac-12. We have been the dominant program in the recent history, and there would be no better way to show that then to come away as Pac-12 champ.

I want to have revenge on the dawgs and the beavs, but there is much more at stake then just beating a couple programs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/19/2023 at 8:44 PM, Haywarduck said:

As the Pac-12 comes to an end it is about who dominates at the end. It is only fitting that Oregon should win out and walk away with the Pac-12. We have been the dominant program in the recent history, and there would be no better way to show that then to come away as Pac-12 champ.

I want to have revenge on the dawgs and the beavs, but there is much more at stake then just beating a couple programs.

You could say Oregon won the final " True" PAC 12 title ever. It's truly the final bow with every original member.  It may be the strongest year yet as well. USC, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Oregon State, Washington State, and even a Deion Sanders led Colorado. All except Colorado, should not be shocking to see win the league. I haven't heard as much about UCLA, but a Chip Kelly offense can always post a challenge.

Arizona should be better. That really only leaves Cal, Stanford, and ASU as tomato cans. Like I said, I expect Colorado to be the great unknown. They could win two games, they could also be a real pain in the butt, and win up to six games.

On 8/19/2023 at 9:35 PM, GatOrlando said:

You could say Oregon won the final " True" PAC 12 title ever.

Oregon won the final Pac-10 football title and the first ever Pac-12 football title, so winning the final Pac-12 football title has a nice symmetry about it...

• Thumbs Up 1