Pennsylvania Duck

Fall Camp: Day 16 Practice

Oregon Football Fall Camp Updates: Practice No. 16

Oregon's 16th practice of the spring took place on Tuesday, here are updates from the day...

The Ducks have returned to a morning practice routine this week which will align more closely with the team's in-season schedule.

Under clear skies, and thankfully improved air quality, the team was in shells on Tuesday for the second workout of the week.

The day did bring the return of senior defensive lineman Brandon Dorlus. Dorlus, who had also been ID'ed leaving Monday's workout, had missed both of last week's sessions open to media. He was in trainers and not cleats and was not a full participant drills media took in on Tuesday.

Continue in article for today's activities...

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's 16th practice of the spring took place on Tuesday, here are updates from the day

Oregon football enters week 4 of fall camp

Photos from Practice 16 from Register-Guard

WWW.REGISTERGUARD.COM

The Ducks are less than two weeks away from the Sept. 2 season opening game against Portland State at Autzen Stadium.

Kind of exciting to hear about special teams play. Punts booming, coach saying something about punting, punters ('catastrophes'), what! 

Also players catching kicks! I am about beside myself with drool!

Finally a comment about a RB against a DB, just wow!

I expect some reporting allowed on who is wearing helmet padding in the next report, I can feel it!

Hopefully my sarcasm doesn't meet the definition to be deleted, as it is all I can do with what Lanning is giving us.

I also truly appreciate all the Pennsylvania does with bringing this to us. As can be seen, I actually do read most all of it, and wouldn't miss it, JUST WANT MORE COACH LANNING!

Defensive Coordinator and Linebackers Coach Tosh Lupoi meets with the media following Day 16 of Fall Camp

Everything DC Tosh Lupoi said after Oregon's 16th fall practice - Transcript

247SPORTS.COM

Below is a complete transcript from Oregon's defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi following the Ducks' 16th fall practice.

Jr. Tight End Casey Kelly meets with the media following Day 16 of Fall Camp

Sr. Defensive Back Evan Williams meets with the media following Day 16 of Fall Camp

Boy, you read the written transcript of what Tosh said in his interview?  Whew!  That guy has been in coaching a long time, and knows how to say a TON....and not tell us anything new.

That is a skill, you know.  And that is what they all do when you have closed spring and fall practices--they tell us nothing.  After the actual football games--there is no place to hide; they can't spin off stuff because we all saw the game.  We can learn a lot from coaches after a game, but from practices?  You could transplant everything a coach was saying at another conference team on the same day....with hardly a difference.

A SID (Sports Information Director) once told me...."the only thing more paranoid than a Basketball coach....is a football coach!"

Hence the tortuous coach-speak...

Mr. FishDuck

'We can roll eight-deep;' Oregon OC Will Stein discusses offensive line depth

One of the primary things to watch throughout fall camp and early in the season for the Oregon Ducks is the offensive line play. After a stellar 2022 season that saw one of the nation’s best offensive lines deployed in Eugene, there will be a changing of the guard in 2023. Four of the five starters from last year’s unit have graduated from the program, and while there is a lot of talent to replace them, the cohesion will need to be smoothed out early in the season.

After Oregon’s 15th fall practice on Monday, offensive coordinator Will Stein was asked about that cohesion and the depth at the position in particular. What he had to say should be encouraging to Duck fans:

“I think we can roll eight deep, I really do,” Stein said.

While fans may be mostly concerned about the first five guys who will take the field up front, Stein’s confidence in the depth at OL is great to hear. With so much physicality in the trenches, it is rare that you make it through a season relying on only five linemen, so being able to go to as many as eight guys should keep the team rocking and rolling on the front line, especially at the start of the season.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“I feel good about our depth. A lot of guys have played and there’s been some newcomers come on that we’re excited about.”

DL Matayo Uiagalelei's work ethic and skill set opening eyes during fall camp

Though it's only his freshman season at Oregon, former four-star recruit Matayo Uiaglelei is opening eyes with his skillset and work ethic.

247SPORTS.COM

Though it's only his freshman season at Oregon, former four-star recruit Matayo Uiaglelei is opening eyes with his skillset and work ethic.

Transfer DB's Tysheem Johnson and Evan Williams developing on-field chemistry

Oregon's retooled secondary could feature as many as four starters added through the transfer portal this offseason. Among those players are safeties Evan Williams and Tysheem Johnson.

While both acknowledge that learning a new defense has been a challenge, the chemistry the two have developed together on the field has come relatively easily. Per Johnson, it's only grown during fall camp since they've begun sharing time together at the back-end of the defense.

"When we first started we weren't as together as much," he said. "Once they put us together and we started playing, we've created a bond and it's like we're glued together.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon added Tysehem Johnson and Evan Williams through the transfer portal. The two have developed a strong on-field...

Oregon's defense building its habits to develop into a defense that is feared ahead of 2023 season

The Oregon Duck defense knows they need to be better and just before fall camp is over we've learned about the progress the Ducks have made and what habits they are trying to build up.

In early August Oregon defensive coordinator Tosh Lupoi spoke with the media following the team's second practice. He stepped forward and challenged his defense to be better in 2023 than they were in 2022.

"We want to be a defense that is respected and feared," Lupoi said early into fall camp. "The only way we get there is in the body of work every single day out here. We have a lot of things we're focused on to improve and a lot of things we need to get better at."

Lupoi said the Ducks needed to get better on third-down defense and pass defense. He referenced stopping the short passes under the defense that hurt Oregon last year, while also highlighting Oregon's need to improve in the way the Ducks attack and tackle in space.

"We just want to improve at everything. I would love to improve our aggression, absolutely," he said.

14 practices later, two scrimmages later, and the final days of fall camp in front of the Ducks, where has this defense improved?

247SPORTS.COM

The Oregon Duck defense knows they need to be better and just before fall camp is over we've learned about the progress the...

Photos from Oregon's 16th day of fall football practice

Below is a collection of a few dozen images snapped from DuckTerritory's Jason Fairchild from Tuesday's fall practice.

247SPORTS.COM

Below is a collection of a few dozen images snapped from DuckTerritory's Jason Fairchild from Tuesday's fall practice.

On 8/22/2023 at 2:04 PM, Charles Fischer said:

Boy, you read the written transcript of what Tosh said in his interview?  Whew!  That guy has been in coaching a long time, and knows how to say a TON....and not tell us anything new.

The second part of a proverb says, "He swears to tell the truth, but reveals nothing."

I think that's hilarious. It's true in so many areas of life. It's amazing how much a person can say, without lying, and still reveal nothing. Coach speech is an art, and practice makes perfect.

On 8/22/2023 at 5:04 PM, Charles Fischer said:

A SID (Sports Information Director) once told me...."the only thing more paranoid than a Basketball coach....is a football coach!"

Hence the tortuous coach-speak...

Judging from this article from earlier this year, the paranoia is well founded. DL has probably experienced some unconventional cheating methods from his past few jobs.

WWW.ESPN.COM

College football coaches will do anything to protect their plays and believe everyone is out to get them: from ball boys to the chain gang to fans in the stands.

• Thanks 1