Pennsylvania Duck

MBB: Coverage of Men's Basketball Program

From now on, except for a very few circumstances, our threads will be just one page. Advertising only appears on the first page and we want to make as much money as possible for the site. 

The bonus in doing this is that it will be easier for everyone to move around the thread.

This thread will be continuous so older posts will be deleted as we reach the page limit.

N'Faly Dante nearing return for Ducks after ramping up in practice

Dante could make his reappearance as early as Saturday in Oregon’s game against the California Golden Bears, who are in last place in the Pac-12. Cal does have a 7-footer on their roster, which could give Dante a good matchup for his return. If he doesn’t come back against Cal, his next opportunity is the Ducks game against the Colorado Buffaloes on Thursday, January 18th, in Boulder, which is setting up to be one of the biggest games of the year up to this point.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Oregon Ducks star center, N’Faly Dante, who’s been held off the court by a knee injury since November should return soon per Dana Altman.

Man o man would that be a Big advantage and boost for the MBB team.  I hope that the chemistry is good in practice (Practice?!) with the small ball guard lineup that has been successful thus far.  Hope he can stay healthy the rest of the year.  Go Ducks! 🦆🏀

We're going to need Dante to go up against Cal's big but goofy 7-footer, Aimaq.  This way we don't have to hold our breath every time Diawara, our only big man, gets a foul called on him.  The Cal game should be a good one to ease Dante back to game conditioning - Cal has some good skill players but if we keep playing hard and good team ball as we have been doing, we should win the game pretty handily.  5-0 would be a fantastic start.  Can't wait!

Edited by Graziani93
  • Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

WATCH Dana Altman: "The guys have done a good job."

WATCH Brennan Rigsby: "It's all about adjustments."

What will the reintroduction of N'Faly Dante look like for Oregon?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

What will the return of N’Faly Dante look like for the Oregon Ducks men’s basketball team?

N’Faly Dante was spotted back on the basketball court at Matt Knight Arena on Tuesday afternoon. The center has been out since November when he injured his knee and had to receive surgery.

Dante was wearing a brace when seen playing but signs are pointing to the senior being able to return to game action soon.

So excited for the rest of the season, hope everyone in here and the community becomes as focused on college basketball as they do football, this team deserves that attention I think.  Could be in for a real run at Arizona if Dante comes back at the same level as before.  I think they'll take care of business against Cal, and then that roadtrip to the mountain schools will say a lot, maybe we finally get a win at Colorado, if we do, we'll be in the mix to challenge Arizona.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well I am very excited about this team. They are special and if they get their bigs back, the sky's the limit. Do you know why they are not playing Stanford, maybe rescheduled. I hope they can win in Colorado, Altman has never won there and it may be the last time his teams play there with all the changes. I think they have a good chance to challenge the top dogs.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/11/2024 at 5:56 PM, Sandy Rocks said:

Well I am very excited about this team. They are special and if they get their bigs back, the sky's the limit. Do you know why they are not playing Stanford, maybe rescheduled. I hope they can win in Colorado, Altman has never won there and it may be the last time his teams play there with all the changes. I think they have a good chance to challenge the top dogs.

When they went to 12 teams there are always two teams you only play once.  So instead of a 22 game schedule it's 20.  Big 12, Big 10, and the ACC have a 20 game schedule.  Guess who has a 18 game schedule!????  Of course that would be the SEC since they have to pad that win column as they always do.

Will N'Faly Dante play against Cal tonight? Latest Oregon injury updates

AUTZENZOO.COM

Ducks’ center N’Faly Dante has been out of commission since the start of the season. Will he make his return tonight?

Oregon comes back from 18 points to beat Cal for fifth straight league win

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks won their sixth-straight game on Saturday night, overcoming an 18-point deficit in the first half to beat California.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon had a defensive reset to come back from 18 points against California to win its fifth straight league game.

Oregon Men’s Basketball vs. Cal | GAME HIGHLIGHTS (2024)

Dana Altman | Postgame vs. Cal

Jadrian Tracey | Postgame vs. Cal

Oregon's return to health will boost development of its roster 

As Oregon gets more players back from injury, Dana Altman said it'll aid in the development of the roster ahead of its key road swing.

247SPORTS.COM

As Oregon gets more players back from injury, Dana Altman said it'll aid in the development of the roster ahead of its key road swing.

Will Nate Bittle make his return this week? Latest Oregon MBB injury updates

AUTZENZOO.COM

Bittle was not expected to return for the remainder of the season but recent evaluations have the Oregon center hopeful to make a comeback before the year ends.

Oregon men's basketball: How to watch, odds, injuries, matchups vs Colorado

On a hot streak in conference games, Oregon sits atop the Pac-12 with the only undefeated record in the conference.

Overall, the Ducks have a 13-3 record with their only losses going to then-No. 17 Alabama, Syracuse, and Santa Clara.

Dana Altman has adapted his team to find continuous success despite suffering multiple injuries on the roster. As players come off the IR and return to on-court action, Oregon hopes to ride its momentum to more Pac-12 wins.

AUTZENZOO.COM

On a hot streak in conference games, Oregon sits atop the Pac-12 with the only undefeated record in the conference. Next up: the Colorado Buffaloes.

Oregon preps for Colorado showdown amid an ice storm

The Ducks will head to Colorado for a showdown with a critical junction of the season on the 

247SPORTS.COM

The Ducks will head to Colorado for a showdown with a critical junction of the season on the line.

Oregon Ducks hope to schedule future non-conference series with Colorado, Utah

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Colorado, Utah and Oregon will be going its separate ways, but that doesn’t mean Dana Altman is opposed to playing them in the future.

Dana Altman Gives the Latest on Nate Bittle's Injury

The third-year center is still recovering from his wrist injury.

According to Oregon head coach Dana Altman, Bittle has a chance to play in this weekend's away series (Thursday vs. Colorado and Saturday vs. Utah) after an evaluation by Oregon’s medical staff on Wednesday.

“He's worked in practice the last couple of days,” Altman said in a press conference with reporters on Wednesday. “Not everything, but he's getting closer. I know he’s meeting with some trainers today to get exactly what they think he can do moving forward. But I wouldn’t anticipate him playing this weekend. He might play a little bit, depending on what they say today.”

89458267_thumbnail.webp

https://www.si.com/college/oregon/basketball/dana-altman-gives-the-latest-on-nate-bittles-injury

Oregon's second half defensive lapses cost them a win at Utah

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon's 11-game win streak over Utah get snapped after second half defensive lapses.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Utah Utes handed Oregon their second straight loss in a 77-80 game on Sunday.

Oregon vs. Utah Men's Basketball Highlights | 2023-24 Season

• Yikes! 1

Exactly what I thought was going to happen with Dante in the lineup. Going to take these other players to adjust to a totally different game which will take some time. Chemistry is so important on the hardwood. 

Not to mention Dante can be a liability at yield line.

Rough roadtrip.  Colorado is well...Colorado.  Oregon could roster Kobe', LeBron, Michael, Shaq, Steve, and would still go into Boulder and lose!  

The Utah game was a tougher pill to swallow.  Looked better incorporating Dante, but our guards went cold, especially from 3pt range in the second half.  And FREETHROWS finally came back to bite this team in the arse!  

So pretty much makes this coming weeks home stand a MUST WIN over the two Arizona schools.  Win those and we remain in first place....lose those and we drop to 5th or 6th in the PAC, going into February.

Probably the most important week of the season in determining the actual floor and ceiling of this year's Oregon 🏀 team.

Here's to hoping!  🤞👍

Edited by MicroBurst61
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pac-12 Men's Basketball Weekly Rundown - January 23, 2024

PAC-12.COM

Pac-12 Men's Basketball Weekly Rundown - January 23, 2024

On 1/22/2024 at 9:53 AM, MicroBurst61 said:

And FREETHROWS finally came back to bite this team in the arse!  

This really bugs me.  OBD have shot a whopping 68% of their free throws this year.  It's all about sustained practice and developing muscle memory.  These guys are tremendous athletes who have attained amazing control over their bodies.  So, I am left to consider that they just spend a lot of time doing things other than FT practice.  68% is pretty poor, honestly, and costs games.  I hope Dana gets these guys into the gym 30 minutes early for ... yep, FT practice.  Heck, I didn't make the Cal team in the early '60s and I shot 85%.  Maybe Dana should call me up before I hit 80 years of age.  🤪  However, I couldn't dunk then.  And I still can't.  😆

• Applause 1

Altman: Mookie Cook out this week following injury against Utah

The Oregon Ducks’ 4-star freshman wing Mookie Cook will not play this week against the Arizona schools. Per head coach Dana Altman, Cook tweaked his foot against Utah which will keep him off the court.

Oregon’s game against Utah was just Cook’s fifth game as a Duck. Before the season began, Cook needed ankle surgery, and his recovery sidelined him for the first two months of the season.

Cook made his debut on the road against the Washington Huskies, where he shot 2/3 from the field in just six minutes.

In his next four games at Oregon, Cook still didn’t play much.

His surgery recovery and lack of conditioning played a role in his minutes limitation, but he may have seen his playing time increase in the next few games if not for his injury...

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Mookie Cook won’t be available for the Oregon Ducks this week after a foot injury against the Utah Utes.

Dana Altman hopes former assistant coach Tony Stubblefield will consider a return to Oregon

After former Oregon assistant coach Tony Stubblefield was let go from his head coaching position at DePaul, Dana Altman has made contact with his former assistant...

247SPORTS.COM

After former Oregon assistant coach Tony Stubblefield was let go from his head coaching position at DePaul, Dana Altman has...

• Let’s hope! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oregon men’s basketball center Nate Bittle expected to return vs. Arizona State

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Barring a setback, Bittle is expected to return to the lineup this weekend.

Oregon welcomes Arizona State for important showdown of first-place teams in Pac-12 standings

Oregon will welcome Arizona State for a marquee matchup of two teams tied for first place in the Pac-12.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon will welcome Arizona State for a marquee matchup of two teams tied for first place in the Pac-12.

Re: Stubblefield. When I saw he'd been fired, my first thought was "would coach have a place for him on staff?" I'm glad the thought's out there. Since his departure, I've noticed a slight downturn in team play and staff recruiting.

I'm hoping.... 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 1/24/2024 at 12:14 PM, NJDuck said:

Oregon men’s basketball center Nate Bittle expected to return

Bad news, Mookie Cook out having re-injured his foot/ankle.

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon could get one of its starters back from injury this week, but lost another rotation player to another injury.

Well here we go!  Two must win games at home and a team that needs to play as a cohesive unit, tenacious on defense and smart open looks on offense.  NOW is the time to put it all together and make a run at the final regular season PAC12 BB title.  

This Young team certainly has the talent and seem to be buying what Altman is selling but you have to put it out on the court, consistently, to become a champion.  I feel these two home games will dictate how the course of the rest of the season will go and I so want to have 🦆🏀 competing at their highest level and be the chased, rather than the chaser.

Either way it should be some interesting and entertaining games this week.  Let's hope it goes the way the Ducks need it to go.  It is All in their court.

Let's go Ducks.  Make that statement to the PAC and the tourney committee.  🦆👍😎

• Thumbs Up 2

Watch Dana Altman: "I can't say enough good things about him."

WATCH N'Faly Dante: "Give whatever I've got."

Oregon blows by Arizona State to snap losing streak

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks came back home strong after losing two games on the road. They beat Arizona State 80-61 on Thursday night.

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Oregon went from entirely out of sorts while missing 10 straight shots and falling behind by 10 in the first half, to doing no wrong...

Oregon Men’s Basketball vs. Arizona State | GAME HIGHLIGHTS (2024)

Man o man what a tale of two halves.  First ten minutes I was concerned at another sub 20% FG shooting and started to wonder if this was going to turn ugly, fast.

But, as this team has done before all year, they refocused, rotated personnel, and actually Nailed their FREEthrows to make it a two possession game by halftime.

Don't know what happened in that Duck locker room over the break but the second half was the best half of basketball this team has played all year.  Ball movement, isolating the "hot hand", shot selection,  tenacious defense, and great complimentary player rotation throughout.  They seemed "Comfortable" and in control the entire second half.

Now if this team can take that second half and apply it to all the remaining halves the rest of this season, then we will truly have a tourney team with Sweet Sixteen potential.  But let me not get ahead of where we currently are. 

We have a HUGE game on Saturday afternoon for out right first place in the conference.  And thanks to "lil bros" step back three as time expired last night that Arizona team now faces its own Must Win at Matt Knight arena on Saturday.

Should be a freakin' war!  Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Applause 1

Big Ten reportedly settles on basketball schedule, tournament format for 2024-25 season

SATURDAYTRADITION.COM

The Big Ten has settled on a basketball schedule layout, and conference tournament format as it gets ready to welcome 4 new members.

Dana Altman | Postgame vs. Arizona State

Keeshawn Barthelemy & N'Faly Dante | Postgame vs. Arizona State

West Linn product Jackson Shelstad hits ground running in freshman year with Oregon Ducks

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Shelstad tied the Oregon freshman record for consecutive double-digit scoring games with 11 in a row. His early success is no surprise, say the people who aided Shelstad's development at...

'Unselfish:' How to describe KJ Evans, Oregon's budding power forward

The biggest reason Oregon was able to thrive through Dante and Bittle’s absence was the play of freshmen Jackson Shelstad and Kwame Evans Jr.

Both players were thrust into the fray early, and they performed well. During Dante’s absence, Evans averaged 9.5 points and almost 6 rebounds, while Shelstad averaged 14.8 points and 2.6 assists.

But since Dante has returned, the freshmen pair’s production has taken a bit of a hit.

A smaller role and less production haven’t seemed to discourage Evans. For most of the season, he has been a starter, but in the last two games, Evans has come off the bench.

After the win on Thursday, Coach Altman revealed that the idea to come off the bench was player-led, not coach-ordered.

“KJ really wants to help the team,” Altman said. “You know, he came to me — knew he wasn’t playing really good — and said, ‘Coach, maybe I just need to come off the bench and try to get something going.

I like that unselfishness. Again, if we’re gonna play 10 guys or whatever, guys gotta say, ‘What can I do for the team?’ And, you see how that unselfishness pans out.

You know he had a good stretch, comes off the bench, and really was a big part of that run offensively and defensively.”

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

Kwame Evans is a budding star for the Oregon Ducks, but that doesn’t stop him from remaining selfless.

• Cool 1

Bracketology Update: Oregon moves up after win but Ducks still work to do

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Oregon Ducks move up to a No. 11 seed in Joe Lunardi of ESPN’s most recent Bracketology.

Oregon against Arizona, today (1/27/23/Saturday, 2:30PT/5:30ET, FOX).  Great night to attend!  Akili Smith Jr as well as Dan Lanning and Team will be in attendance!

Arizona bullies Oregon to dominating win in Matthew Knight Arena

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon suffers a bad loss at home to rival Arizona when they could least afford it.

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

The Arizona Wildcats hand the Oregon Ducks their first home loss of the season on Saturday afternoon.

No. 9 Arizona vs. Oregon Men's Basketball Highlights | 2023-24 Season

Sad to say but this team isn’t good and very surprising how weak the pack is.

• Applause 1

Keeshawn Barthelemy sent to the hospital following injury against Arizona

Oregon senior point guard Keeshawn Barthelemy is getting further medical testing at a local Eugene-area hospital for an injury to his right ankle following Oregon's 87-78 loss to the No. 9 ranked Arizona Wildcats.

"I don't know if I can say for individual health reasons or the law, but it wasn't good," said Dana Altman. "That's all I can say."

During the second half, Barthelemy was involved in a fastbreak opportunity for the Ducks and went up for a layup took contact mid-air and fell hard down to the ground.

Oregon's medical staff and head coach Dana Altman rushed onto the floor to check on the senior guard who was visibly in a lot of pain...

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon senior guard Keeshawn Barthelemy was sent to the hospital following an injury against Arizona.

WATCH: Dana Altman | Postgame vs. Arizona

WATCH: N'Faly Dante | Postgame vs. Arizona

Mookie Cook's season likely to be shutdown due to lingering injury

"He's going to see a specialist when we're in LA. He's got some soreness. We've done some tests, and it doesn't look like a reinjury or anything like that.

But it has just been so long. We're down to six weeks, seven weeks, whatever we got left. So it doesn't look like he'll be back."

Cook has played in five games for the Ducks this season and averages 1.2 points per game. He last played on January 21st against Utah, playing five minutes in the first half and then sitting out the remainder of the game due to the injury...

247SPORTS.COM

One of Oregon's highly regarded freshmen will likely see his season end.

Keeshawn Barthelemy likely out of the season following injury suffered against Arizona

247SPORTS.COM

Oregon senior point guard Keeshawn Barthelemy is out for what will likely be the season following an injury against Arizona this...

Big Ten won’t expand conference basketball schedules and plans 15-team tournament for next year

The Big Ten plans to stick with a 20-game conference schedule for men’s basketball and an 18-game schedule for women’s basketball when the league expands to 18 teams next year.

The league also announced Tuesday that 15 of the 18 members will qualify for the Big Ten men’s and women’s basketball tournaments once Southern California, UCLA, Oregon and Washington arrive from the Pac-12.

The Big Ten currently allows all 14 of its members to participate in the conference tournaments...

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The Big Ten plans to stick with a 20-game conference schedule for men’s basketball and an 18-game schedule for women’s...

Oregon men’s basketball center Nate Bittle undergoing tests for illness, will not play vs. Oregon State

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

Ducks coach Dana Altman said Bittle has more tests to determine the illness that has sidelined the 7-foot junior for the last four games

Oregon looking to build itself back up with a limited roster for its stretch run into March

The Ducks are working on building themselves back up with a limited bench as they try to save their season's postseason chances.

247SPORTS.COM

The Ducks are working on building themselves back up with a limited bench as they try to save their season's postseason chances.

Great season, Oregon's big win against Duke: Highlights of that game

Incredibly frustrating year, the injury bug has become a joke now, three straight seasons ruined by injuries to key players.  

Two starters from the opening game gone, key center misses half the season, key 6 man gone, 2/3 of a great freshman class missing significant time, just an incredibly unfortunate series of injuries to this team.  Anyone saying that it might be time to look at Altman I think has to realize how hard it is to coach when you are consistently having to change the lineup because you have yet another injury, if anything it should be the training staff that gets a look at.

• Thumbs Up 2