Pennsylvania Duck

B1G 10: ‘Ongoing Conversation’ About Future Scheduling of Civil War, Apple Cup Rivalries

The Big Ten has not made any decisions regarding the viability of Oregon playing Oregon State or for the Apple Cup to continue being played at the end of the regular season, but the conference has not ruled it out either.

The status of the two Pacific Northwest in-state rivalries, which date back to 1894 and 1900, respectively, has been in question since three weeks ago, when Oregon and Washington announced they would be joining the Big Ten beginning next year.

“We haven’t had too detailed a conversation with either of the two institutions about that,” Big Ten COO Kerry Kenny said.

“All we’ve said early on is we understand that there are local conversations that you all need to engage in and we’re supportive of learning from those conversations as they play out and then having that be a factor in what type of schedule model that we create."

WWW.OREGONLIVE.COM

The status of the two Pacific Northwest in-state rivalries has been in question since Oregon and Washington announced they would...

As of this date, the B1G requires OOC games, except for a few scheduled conference games to be played early in the season. 

Ohio State opens with Indiana this season which is why the Buckeyes' game at Notre Dame comes in week 4.

IMO, there is no way that the B1G and its broadcast partners will allow the Civil War and Apple Cup games to be the final game of the regular season. I expect that The Border War (sorry, already taken by Kansas-Missiouri and Wyoming vs. Colorado State) Oregon vs. UW, and USC vs. UCLA will be scheduled to be the final games of the regular season. Fox et al are not paying B1G money to show a game versus a Mountain West team as the regular season's concluding games. 

I really don't think Oregon State and Washington State fans/admins want to continue the games out of spite.  I don't think it will be an issue later.  Let it go a number of years until they miss it...

• Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/25/2023 at 4:04 PM, Charles Fischer said:

I really don't think Oregon State and Washington State fans/admins want to continue the games out of spite.  I don't think it will be an issue later.  Let it go a number of years until they miss it...

At some point they're going to crave the exposure they'd get from playing a nationally televised game again,  probably won't get much of that in the Pac-X or MWC. That said I find it highly doubtful that game would be played on rivalry weekend, hopefully the weekend before but it could wind up being played in September. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Listen..wont be no point in playing Oregon St if they get left out the Big12.  2 things...their coach will be auditioning for a new job this year.  No way he stays on the Oregon St titanic. Players will surely hit the portal.  Program in real trouble without the B12 invite...  If they go to the MWC, its gonna be a total rebuild. 

I dont know if it will be worth playing them in that scenario

On 8/25/2023 at 6:06 PM, Lrod said:

I don't know if it will be worth playing them in that scenario

An alternative to playing Portland State?

giphy.gif

Mr. FishDuck

On 8/26/2023 at 12:08 AM, Charles Fischer said:

An alternative to playing Portland State?

giphy.gif

We in the Big 10 now.. we need games like Portland St to work out kinks early on.  

• Applause 1

On 8/26/2023 at 2:49 PM, Lrod said:

We in the Big 10 now.. we need games like Portland St to work out kinks early on.  

Although FCS games in the B1G are going by the boards, I expect that the B1G will go to 10 conference games before 2030.

• Thumbs Up 1