Just Ducky

Let’s Grade the Position Groups vs. Portland State

Been quite for a while but that stops know.

Game ball goes to Will Stien and Puddles.

No offensive penalties the first half and a game plan even Nick would be worried about and want to change the rules for.

And let’s be honest, can you do that many push ups in a three hour span in that suit. very impressive.

A for Bo, looked good for the whole time he was in. Missed one deep ball but that’s ok.

A for Bucky and the rest of the skill players, didn’t see many bone head plays. The skill position guys look extremely good with plenty of depth.

A+ for the offensive line. No dumb penalties and pretty damn good blocking.

B+ for the defense even though that first drive was pretty bad but the rest of the game was not what we are used to lately.

B for special teams. Way improved.

A+ for the rally girls as always. Mind boggling.

A for the coaches with no glaring mistakes.

A for the beer selection.

B+ for the back ups, I wish the coaches would let them toss it deep once in a while.

I realize this was PSU and they earned every dollar they got with an embarrassing defeat. I wish the backup players would have started the second half but I know why.

In summation it was a great day for Duck football on opening week. 👍👍👍

On 9/2/2023 at 4:33 PM, Just Ducky said:

And let’s be honest, can you do that many push ups in a three hour span in that suit. very impressive.

Thats 544 pushups. Duck gets the game ball

Obviously the most underpaid guy in the buildig. 😂🤣😂

To be honest I can’t count that high.

Edited by Just Ducky

Oregon’s Mascot Had To Do 546 Push-Ups Because The Team Beat Portland State 81-7

The Oregon Duck has had to do a whole lot of push-ups over the years. In a tradition that has gone on for some time, the mascot has needed to do one push-up for every point the football team has after each score, and in games where the team really runs it up, it can get a bit out of hand.

Well, the Ducks really let things get out of hand on Saturday evening. In the team’s season opener against Portland State, Oregon ran up the score en route to an emphatic, 81-7 win.

That is the most points that the Ducks have scored in the modern era, and they’re the first team since 2015 to put up 80-plus in a game.

The problem is that turns into a whole lot of push-ups. The official tally is 546, and we know this, because the Duck kept churning them out until the game came to its merciful end.

The reason we set a record for points is the depth this team now has.

You start playing the second string and nothing changes, third string and it slows a bit but keep rolling. 

And that many points with the shorter game time from the new rules. Pretty crazy.

I did see Oklahoma beat an FCS 70-0 today though.

I thought they did well in every aspect but get to the qb. Zero sacks against Portland State?

On 9/2/2023 at 5:45 PM, Duckhart said:

I thought they did well in every aspect but get to the qb. Zero sacks against Portland State?

PSU played it pretty smart here.  On virtually every throwing play the QB threw from outside the pocket on a roll-out or such.  The important thing here is there were no bombs thrown because the QB's feet have to be set.  The throws were short 'outs' or to the flats and after the 2nd possession the Vikings could get nothing going either thru the air or the run.  The Duck's D was superb at keeping everything in front of them and took away every running lane the Vikings tried to exploit.  No sacks but it wasn't because the D didn't execute, 'cause it did.  Spectacularly.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2023 at 5:45 PM, Duckhart said:

PSU took 20 pass plays, 37 run plays. Of those 20, several were throw aways and the rest were quick outs.They were 8 for 20 with a few very nice PBs. So the numbers are great in the defensive passing game.

That leaves the eye test. To me they didn't look exceptionally fast. Also, there were some nice tackles (Bassa had some knock backs), but I didn't see the violent aggression I was looking for. Team tackling wasn't impressive. 

PSU is hard to grade a D against. Talent gap is just too wide. Came away wanting more but the numbers are impressive. 

So I don't know what this defense is yet. Guess we will find out next week. TT looks pretty decent offensively tonight. Should be a good test.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/2/2023 at 4:38 PM, Log Haulin said:

And let’s be honest, can you do that many push ups in a three hour span in that suit. very impressive...

Thats 544 pushups. Duck gets the game ball

Actually, from what I've heard from The Duck, there are two ducks per game, one for each half. However, sharing the pushup load is still impressive. 🙂

• Like 1

A for the team.

A for the Offense (it was PSU)

A for Nix, Franklin, Bryant, Ferguson, Irving and ALL the running backs et al

Heck, A for everything except, possibly, a B+ for the Defense. (again, PSU) The D was spectacular for 90% of the game

An A++ for the team penalty-wise.  Man, was that refreshing!  Least amount of penalties I've ever seen O flagged for.

And lastly, an A+ for Coach Dan Lanning for having his team ready to play - with intensity - under control - all the way.  To quote Nigel "They looked like they were in mid-season form."