Charles Fischer

Fast-Twitch on Display and Offensive Pundits (Whew!)

My Duck-Buddies....could you believe all the fast-twitch talent out there?  As I've been touting....the nation is going to wake up to how well Dan Lanning recruited from the portal, as they have transformed this team.

On one defensive series in the third quarter that went 3-and-out for the Vikings...all three downs had great plays by transfers at defensive back; Tysheem Johnson, Nikko Reed, and Khyree Jackson. Studs...studs!

Goodness...could you believe how both Tez Johnson and Gary Bryant Jr. just oozed speed, fast-twitch and the excitement that comes with wondering...."is he going to pop-it this play?"  We have some really fun games ahead of us!

The pass-deflection by freshman Daylen Austin was a "whoa" moment for me, as it was an incredible play.  Remember what I say about "Greatness and Weakness Emerge Early?"

Dan Lanning_Eugene Johnson2.jpg

Pathetic Pundits

Don't you just shake your head at some of the revisionist spin you see from some media pundits? They are writing now..."there were not any questions about the offense going into this season."

Say what? I remember most of them, and a ton of people on this forum bemoaning about how we did not know Will Stein, had questions about him, and had real questions about replacing four starters on the offensive line.

I am not always right, but I nailed this in advance as you all know.  I knew we had actually more starting snaps from this new group than we had last year going into the season. (ProFootballFocus Stats)  And between Coach Boles and I....there was a ton of confidence in Will Stein, and while the playbook was not opened much--I did see some innovative stuff already.

At times, entertainment for me comes from the media as well as from the football field.

Mr. FishDuck

• Go Ducks! 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Great post! 1
  • Applause 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

Mr. FishDuck

So last year the / Our BDs lost by a total of 7 points to the puppies and river rats with a hurt QB as well as other injuries and all of a sudden those are the big strong contenders and our Ducks are the new challengers --- Pundits YUK!!! Click Bait!!

• Go Ducks! 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/3/2023 at 10:12 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

So last year the / Our BDs lost by a total of 7 points to the puppies and river rats with a hurt QB as well as other injuries and all of a sudden those are the big strong contenders and our Ducks are the new challengers --- Pundits YUK!!! Click Bait!!

Yep, and when the truth emerges of how good Oregon is....they will claim they, "knew it all along."

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Mr. FishDuck

There should be a YAS stat for the offensive line: Yards After Scrum. So satisfying to see our lineman downfield bullying the scrum forward for extra yards. Has to be demoralizing to the second level of the defense. On one play a couple of linemen pulled James the last 5 yards to the goal line. Athletic. Well coached. Bodes well for big games ahead.

Go Ducks!

• Go Ducks! 1

The only thing about Stein that I'm still a little nervous about is the route trees.

I don't get the sense they stress the secondaries as much as Dillys' did. Maybe not as many rubs or something.

It just seems harder for multiple receivers to get separation or find soft spots in the zone like we saw last year and we see with USC.

It's still a small sample size though. Hopefully it turns out to not be a thing.

On 9/3/2023 at 6:27 PM, Solar said:

The only thing about Stein that I'm still a little nervous about is the route trees.

I don't get the sense they stress the secondaries as much as Dillys' did. Maybe not as many rubs or something.

It just seems harder for multiple receivers to get separation or find soft spots in the zone like we saw last year and we see with USC.

It's still a small sample size though. Hopefully it turns out to not be a thing.

Oh I think Stein will stretch defenses.  When the time is right of course.  Didn't see any conference (PAC12) defense defend speed well.  And we have  two F22s and three F16s.  One thing though, Nix has to hit them at 45 yards because that's his limit accuracy wise. 

I'm more concerned about the defense.  We need a defense at least as good as Chip's Title team, or the 2019 version.  I didn't see that yesterday.  I realize we didn't show TTU much on purpose, but I hardly saw DL pressure like we need, and PSU is a D-2 school.  

I like Stein's offense.  He uses clutch routes to convert 3rd and long plays.  He uses the TEs very well.  He gets the RBs the ball often.  It's an offense that can challenge elite defenses.  That's more important than burning DBs deep. 

Edited by Mike West
  • Like 2

Mike, you probably noticed as have I that MarinoO might as well put a guard at tight end. WS will use his tight ends like modern nfl tight ends. He has a great one in Ferguson and I expect he will use him often this season.can’t wait. 

Looked like Herbert will get some action as well.

On 9/3/2023 at 6:27 PM, Solar said:

86% completion rate. 

• Thumbs Up 1