Augduck

A Positive Thing I Saw

Coaches made half time adjustments. That did not seem to happen under the previous regime.  Just my $.02

• Applause 1

Since I didn't see the game live in its entirety I can't say for sure but this isn't what I was gleaning from several of the articles and many of the posts I've read.  I hope your perspective is an accurate one Augduck, because the alternative would be disheartening.

WE beat the betting spread by 1.5 points on the road in miserable heat at an elevation of over 3300 ft.

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 9/10/2023 at 11:29 AM, 1Ducker1 said:

WE beat the betting spread by 1.5 points on the road in miserable heat at an elevation of over 3300 ft.

But Bassa does the trained thing to do and takes the knee after his int (which I'm personally glad he didn't) then we don't beat the spread and we escape by the skin on a linebacker's knee.  

On 9/10/2023 at 11:53 AM, Mic said:

But Bassa does the trained thing to do and takes the knee after his int (which I'm personally glad he didn't) then we don't beat the spread and we escape by the skin on a linebacker's knee.  

If that touchdown just puts us up by 7 then I think it would be more critical to take the knee. But being up by 8 is a completely different game. 

Granted... taking a knee at like the 1 yard line the Ducks can burn time off the clock and still potentially get a touchdown. 

But in terms of perception I think it's important for the Ducks to cover the spread and anyone who just looks at the box scores sees that Oregon won by more than a touchdown.

So I'm glad Bassa got the points... also I think it will really boost the defense's confidence. Defensive points can be hard to come by but can be decisive in the outcome. 

• Like 1

Not to mention, thanks to Bassa's decision to take it to the house, my lucky prediction of Oregon winning 38-31 would not have almost nailed it 😉

• Applause 1

On 9/10/2023 at 12:25 PM, Desert Duck said:

Not to mention, thanks to Bassa's decision to take it to the house, my lucky prediction of Oregon winning 38-31 would not have almost nailed it 😉

...well, there's that too...lol

On 9/10/2023 at 12:21 PM, David Marsh said:

So I'm glad Bassa got the points... also I think it will really boost the defense's confidence. Defensive points can be hard to come by but can be decisive in the outcome. 

Me too.  Did TV show him hoisting up the "Big Play Scepter" ? 

Annie & I were discussing in an earlier post (before this game) that I prefer to see the TD scored rather than rely of a FG.  Now, Oregon didn't need to score as you pointed out but Utah did to beat Baylor when the Ute's RB tried to avoid scoring the TD (so as not to leave any time on the clock) before he was knocked into the end zone by the defender.  In that case, the FG was either going to win the game or lose it, depending on its outcome, for Utah.  I like taking the sure TD because I've see way too many missed or blocked FG's esp in away game environments. 

Very happy for Bassa and I bet the rest of the team is as well even if it left crucial seconds on the clock.

Edited by Mic

After having played 3 very sketchy quarters, to come back on the road, in such a tough environment, in a hot climate, and put up 20 points in the 4th quarter, is extremely impressive. The Ducks got stronger the deeper we got into the game. 

Most teams in that kind of situation, and after having played so poorly for much of the first 3 quarters, would have wilted and gone home with their feathers between their legs. 

If we reduce our penalties from 14 for 124 yards, to around 5 for 50 yards, I bet that would add at least another 7 points to our total score. Thankfully, penalties can usually be fixed rather quickly. 

And Bo Nix has the heart of a lion.

So... how good is this team? Frankly, I have almost no idea right now. If they can get it together, I think we could have a very good season -- despite the fact that we are playing in what looks like a very tough conference which includes USC, Washington, Utah, & yes... Oregon State (and maybe even WSU). 

Edited by Desert Duck
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 12:49 PM, Desert Duck said:

And Bo Nix has the heart of a lion.

I'll 2nd that!

• Applause 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 1