NJDuck

Will Congress Find Middle Ground and Pass NIL Legislation? Ted Cruz thinks it's '60-40.' Others are Less Optimistic.

WASHINGTON — Sitting cross-legged in his Texas boots, Ted Cruz gazed out at the more than 75 FBS athletic directors before him while contemplating an answer to the question just asked: What are the odds that a college athletic bill governing name, image and likeness (NIL) passes Congress soon?

Eight seconds of silence passed.

“I think the odds are 60-40 we get it done,” Cruz, the Republican senator from Texas, finally whispered into the microphone.

A full-throated applause erupted from his audience. And then some 15 minutes later, in a rebuttal fitting of the divide in Congress, Cruz’s Democratic counterpart in the U.S. Senate sent any expectations plummeting.

“The chances are not 60-40,” said Chris Murphy (D-Conn.). “They are less than 50-50 that Congress does something comprehensive in the short term.”

The discord among congressional lawmakers played out here Tuesday in front of some of the leading administrators in college sports. Over the course of 90 minutes, three U.S. senators and a Congresswoman separately delivered varying degrees of opinions and prognostications on the passage of college athlete legislation.

SPORTS.YAHOO.COM

There are plenty of sticking points as congressional leaders meet to address name, image and likeness in college sports.

I don't have any idea what the answer should be on this, but I don't think a compromised deal from congress is the answer.

I'm not trying to choose sides politically, but I don't have faith that either side is at all interested in what's best for college sports, or would know it if they saw it.

Here's to hoping for a miracle.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does this warranty an act of congress?   That means the people must have strong opinion about NIL right?   What's the opinion?  Limit the amount?

8 seconds.  Reminds me of the "short eternity' when riding a bull in a rodeo to the horn.  One can tell Senator Cruz wants to get something done.  I believe the Democrats are less optimistic because of the budget battle ensuing.  Let's hope Football wins out and not politics.

Not much of college should warrant an act of congress, but when you have 50 states with 50 different NIL laws/rules, it makes it pretty hard to have "equal" footing between colleges.

• Thumbs Up 1

Something that has reduced my stress levels regarding possible legislation is to first determine if the there is a status quo group of rich and likely politically connected private citizens that stand to benefit from the legislation passing. If you can't identify that group of individuals, then it has a zero percent chance of actually passing. 

I don't know how rich people would benefit from NIL legislation, with the legislation presumably going to restrict how rich people can spend their play money. Maybe I'm missing something though.