DrJacksPlaidPants

Replacing Dont’e Thornton

It struck me that I have not heard much about Dont’e Thornton since he transferred to Tennessee. I remember being disappointed that we lost him and because I thought he would start opposite Troy Franklin and really make his mark this season. However, I also understood that he would be closer to his home in MD.

Well, I looked up his stats and matched them with his two replacements (Holden and Bryant) and here are the results. (Note: I didn’t add Tez because he replaced Hutson, but he’s 15 for 203 yards, 3 TD’s). I think DL found some pretty good talent in the portal.

Thornton - 7 for 89 yards, 0 TD’s

Holden - 11 for 154 yards, 2 TD’s

Bryant - 13 for 169 yards, 2 TD’s

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Like 2

But he transferred to a better conference, right? 

• Haha 2

On 9/27/2023 at 10:00 PM, Jon Joseph said:

But he transferred to a better conference, right? 

He transferred to a conference with better defenses, but worse QB’s (especially his).

• Thumbs Up 1

Better Ds in 2023 in the SEC? Maybe at the tip top but top to bottom?

This is not the SEC we have all become accustomed to. The high draft picks are still out there but other than Bama, with 1L due to bad pass D vs. Texas, where are the behemoth, like no other D's?

Florida does have a very good D but UF also lost at Utah. Georgia? With the teams UGA has played to date it is very difficult to determine how strong this D is and with Carson Beck at QB, the UGA D is going to have to carry this team. (And BTW, the awesome UGA OL has not been, other than the 2nd half vs. USC(E) all that awesome.)

The fall-off in QB play in the SEC from 2022 to 2023 is significant. One wonders if the SEC played 9 conference games if it would fill its bowl allotment this season. 

This season's Pac-12 is the 'usual' SEC gauntlet (forget about all of the teams ranked 20 and under because they are SEC teams) with an extra conference game.

In 2023? It just means more on the Left Coast.

• Great post! 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I still say the SEC produces the national champion this year. They’ll find a way.

Jack,

Thanks for adddressing this topic. Was disappointed to see Dont'e leave, but, oh, well. Dont'e was key at the end of the Utah game when Bo had to throw that long ball way down field, and to whom was he throwing it - Dont'e. Dont'e was defended, but got the ball, seemed to fumble it, and then recovered it (IIRC).

It was interesting seeing how Dont'es' replacement (Holden (but not Bryant)) has done; and, interesting how Dont'e has done without a great QB. The Ducks have come out ahead apparently on that switch. 

Knoxville and UT are in a beautiful setting on the Tennessee River, but Eugene does not lack for surrounding scenery what with the MacKenzie River and the Millrace running nearby, the Coburg Hills to the East, and the various hills/buttes surrounding Eugene. Yes, he's closer to home. Or, was Dont'e from NJ?

Thanks for the reminder and information. I remain VR, KCDuck1

We are fine, and I wish him the best. Sounds like he is beginning to find his stride.

https://www.utdailybeacon.com/sports/football/tennessee-wide-receiver-donte-thornton-breaks-out-against-florida/article_427b94e2-57ce-11ee-990d-7b676a43f5c2.html

The question I have is what is happening with Jurrion Dickey? He hasn't touched the ball all season. Has there been any updated news on the next big thing at WR?

DUCKSWIRE.USATODAY.COM

“The sky is the limit for him.” Jurrion Dickey is developing an early reputation in Eugene as an entertaining guy with an incredibly high ceiling.